Re: [dnsext] we need help to make names the same, was draft-yao-dnsext-identical-resolution-02 comment

"Vaggelis Segredakis" <segred@ics.forth.gr> Thu, 17 February 2011 08:48 UTC

From: Vaggelis Segredakis <segred@ics.forth.gr>
To: 'Masataka Ohta' <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>, dnsext@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 10:47:41 +0200
Subject: Re: [dnsext] we need help to make names the same, was draft-yao-dnsext-identical-resolution-02 comment
Sender: dnsext-bounces@ietf.org

-----Original Message-----
From: dnsext-bounces@ietf.org [mailto:dnsext-bounces@ietf.org] On Behalf Of
Masataka Ohta
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 11:02 PM
To: dnsext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dnsext] we need help to make names the same, was
draft-yao-dnsext-identical-resolution-02 comment

>Vaggelis Segredakis wrote:

>> We did however ask for the user's choice of registered domain names,

>How many names the user can choose? 10? 100? or 1000000?

Usually they get two to four names. There is no real limit though. Not all
domain names create huge bundles and even if they do, how many would a user
choose to pay for and for what benefit?

>> The number of these domain names varies from two

>See examples of possible meaningful combinations of upper and
>lower cases.

	my-domain.com
	my-Domain.com
	My-domain.com
	My-Domain.com
	MY-DOMAIN.com

>or, some user may think even more meaningful

	my-DOMAIN.com
	My-DOMAIN.com
	MY-domain.com
	MY-Domain.com

Your examples are not valid, they are the same domain name. The upper case
to lower case conversion does not produce different domain names, even in
IDN. However, if you have a letter with tonos there, the user would type
this word in capital letters without tonos and this would be a different
name in PUNYCODE.

>> (or four if a final sigma is present)

>How much will it be with the Greek equivalent of above examples?

Usually there is only one position for the tonos in each word. Different
position is different word or mistyping. So, you get one domain name with
the tonos, one without. If the domain name had a final sigma, one domain
with tonos+normal sigma, one without tonos+normal sigma, one with
tonos+final sigma, one without tonos+final sigma (total four). If you have a
two word domain or more, you have to multiply these combinations.

>> to some tens of domains, not millions and certainly not
>> billions.

>How can you forbid a user who purchased "my-domain.com" want to
>have control over:

>	mY-DoMaIn.com

As mentioned before, they are the same.

>> They could be
>> perfectly normal Latin domain names that point to the same services

>	mY-DoMaIn.com

>is a perfectly normal Latin domain name.

I agree :-)

>> and the
>> administrator decides to administer them as one.

>Administrator of which? Registry or the user?

The administrator/user of the domain name, not the registry.

Kind Regards,

Vaggelis Segredakis