Re: [dnsext] draft-diao-aip-dns

Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net> Tue, 19 June 2012 00:54 UTC

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=ietf.org; s=ietf1; t=1340067247; bh=VrXSJDYz8RuAKaNzFFlvhJdJEIQId33cAlZRk/V3UgQ=; h=Mime-Version:From:In-Reply-To:Date:Message-Id:References:To:Cc: Subject:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:List-Archive:List-Post:List-Help: List-Subscribe:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:Sender; b=QN7cycZiQ06Pkv7hDuA3uWsE4QBwlIWzyNbZ/z8ltMnsPdxL47uc88WYiDyXdmWlv eKk/qPAOrr2QuVCpTX8H8EZf4LnmDRQJ1TWlU6O3yChGYFw0GtD3i33FbRFZoAcGJf HgQqhOOF/dR4FKT+XLgLAon6lLTRhFS6+RBl7tLk=
From: Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 20:54:08 -0400
To: Ondřej Surý <ondrej.sury@nic.cz>
Cc: dnsext@ietf.org, 644247110@qq.com, diaoyp@yahoo.com, teacherdddd@yahoo.com.cn
Subject: Re: [dnsext] draft-diao-aip-dns
Sender: dnsext-bounces@ietf.org

On Jun 18, 2012, at 8:58 AM, Ondřej Surý wrote:

> Hi,
>
> thanks Tony for pointing that out...
>
> On 17. 6. 2012, at 19:01, Tony Finch wrote:
>
>> So this "DNS Extension for Autonomous Internet" caught my eye. There are
>> clearly a number of autonomy-related requirements that the DNS does not
>> satisfy, such as private/internal names and ad-hoc networking. These are
>> currently satisfied by working outside the architecture - BIND's views and
>> multicast DNS respectively.
>>
>> However this draft is not about any of that. It appears to be proposing a
>> technical workaround for dissatisfaction with ICANN's management of the
>> DNS namespace.
>
> I am not so sure about the motivations, but I see this draft as dangerous
> precedent.  Unified DNS tree was and is an important building block of the
> Internet and standardizing DNS-split would mean the end of the Internet
> as we know it.
>
>> But it seems to me that none of this is necessary: all it is doing is shifting the namespace down a level.
>

> Exactly.  And then it would be just a mess - every country would create it's own Internet.
>
>> That is you can get a similar result [...] using existing technologies.
>

> +1
>
> not that I promote the usage of existing tools for Internet censorship,
> but at least those are just tools, and not the justification to split
> the Internet.
>
> Last, but not least, we (IETF) should produce technical documents
> and not political.  This is quite nice example of a document which
> (in my view) puts priorities of national states over the openness
> and overall compatibility of the Internet.

Hear hear….

There are a large number of major issues with the document (apart from legibility), but the added complexity and fragility for someone's nationalistic desires are not a reasonable tradeoff.

I was also muchly entertained by the Security Considerations and IANA Considerations bits -- wheee, lets bypass the existing (flawed) process and gets our own string by publishing a doc…

> O.
> --
> Ondřej Surý -- Chief Science Officer

With Feudalism, it's your Count that votes.