[NAT] the future of the NAT working group

Scott Bradner <sob@harvard.edu> Thu, 18 October 2001 21:42 UTC

Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 17:30:39 -0400
From: Scott Bradner <sob@harvard.edu>
To: matt.holdrege@verizon.net, nat@ietf.org, srisuresh@yahoo.com
Subject: [NAT] the future of the NAT working group
Sender: nat-admin@ietf.org

Matt, Srisuresh and the NAT WG,

	Allison and I have been discussing the status of the NAT WG.  It is
our conclusion that it should close.  The working group has achieved its
main goals and published a number of RFCs, it should be seen as a success
but it is now time to conclude it.

There are two WG documents in progress that would be useful to have
finished.  One is the NAT MIB, which has potential to be a useful
document, and we would like opinions as to whether to

1. have it completed as an individual submission (the nat mailing list
   be used discussion, as we usually keep concluded working
   group mailing lists alive).
2. have it transferred to another working group's charter - one
   candidate is midcom.

The other is the NAT Friendly Application Design Guidelines.  We
have not seen progress on this and think this can continue on the
basis of being an individual informational, if energy increases.

We saw insufficient expression of support for the framework
document, so we do not not think it is worth the considerable effort that
would be required to revise it to fix the issues that the IESG had with it.

Scott