Re: [nbs] New draft related to name-based sockets

Javier Ubillos <jav@sics.se> Thu, 09 December 2010 12:11 UTC

From: Javier Ubillos <jav@sics.se>
To: RJ Atkinson <rja.lists@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 13:13:19 +0100
Cc: nbs@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [nbs] New draft related to name-based sockets

On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 14:34 -0500, RJ Atkinson wrote:
> Earlier, Pete McCann wrote:
> > Routing on names does require some state to be kept in the
> > middleboxes if we don't want to put DNS names into every packet.
>
> That claim is not obviously true, at least with respect
> to the NBS concepts and scope that were presented at IETF
> in Beijing last month.  (I wasn't present in Beijing,
> but I have scanned the presentation slides and meeting minutes
> online.)  If one thinks it is true for some special case,
> then it would be helpful to clarify.  Alternatively, perhaps
> defining terms more precisely would clarify things.

In the case where you _want_ middleboxes to make decisions based on
names:

I don't see how you can route, or make any decision based on something
that is not present, unless you have saved some state allowing you to
deduce that non-present thing.

Either you attach the name on every packet, or, the middlebox needs to
store some association.

This problem goes away if we are not intending the names to be something
middleboxes should route/make decisions on.

I like both approaches and am happy to explore them both.

// Javier