Re: [nbs] Preparing for a BoF about name-based sockets.

Javier Ubillos <jav@sics.se> Wed, 15 September 2010 08:30 UTC

From: Javier Ubillos <jav@sics.se>
To: Dave Thaler <dthaler@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 10:30:50 +0200
Cc: Ran Atkinson <ran.atkinson@gmail.com>, Patrik Fältström <patrik@frobbit.se>, Yong Cui <cuiyong@tsinghua.edu.cn>, Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>, Bengt Ahlgren <bengta@sics.se>, Olaf Kolkmann <olaf@nlnetlabs.nl>, Mingwei Xu <xmw@csnet1.cs.tsinghua.edu.cn>, Lixia Zhang <lixia@cs.ucla.edu>, Name-Based Sockets List <nbs@ietf.org>, Pete Resnick <presnick@qualcomm.com>, Leslie Daigle <leslie@thinkingcat.com>, Björn Grönvall <bg@sics.se>, Jun Bi <junbi@cernet.edu.cn>, Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>, Marcelo Bagnulo Braun <marcelo@it.uc3m.es>, Tony Li <tony.li@tony.li>, Lindqvist Kurt Erik <kurtis@kurtis.pp.se>, Geoff Huston <gih@apnic.net>, Stuart Cheshire <cheshire@apple.com>, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [nbs] Preparing for a BoF about name-based sockets.

On Wed, 2010-09-15 at 02:07 +0000, Dave Thaler wrote:
> > On 2010-09-15 07:17, Javier Ubillos wrote:
> > > Hi everyone.
> > >
> > > We think we got some good feedback after the two presentation at
> > > Maastricht, so we've decided to move towards a BoF.
> > >
> > > We are writing to you to ask for some input and feedback.
> > >
> > > We would like to talk some about ID/Loc (names & locators) in general
> > > and explore if there is more room within the IETF for it.
> > > The short version is: Today we have ID/Loc splits at different levels,
> > > however we think that are some advantages to this one.
> > >
> > > Relevant documents:
> > > BoF Proposal: https://www.sics.se/nbs/bof/Proposal%20for%20Name-
> > Based%
> > > 20Sockets%20BoF.pdf
> > > Draft: http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ubillos-name-based-sockets-02.txt
> > >
> > > About the draft: Please note, the draft _will_ be divided into two
> > > different documents, one about name based sockets, and one about how
> > > shim6 can be improved with name-based sockets.
> > > We have been a bit unclear earlier, name-based sockets is about the
> > > naming layer & mechanisms. The described shim6 improvements are an
> > > example on solutions that can be improved and integrated using
> > > name-based sockets.
> > >
> > > // Christan Vogt and Javier Ubillos
>
> I support having a BOF on this topic.
>
> I think splitting the draft is a good thing, and I have feedback on at least the
> API portion.  Specifically, the API needs to use service names, not integer
> port numbers.   getaddrinfo() already does so, and section 7.2 of
> draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports-06 will only make this more important.
>
> Don't make the mistake of using integer port numbers in an API that
> claims to be "name-based".
>
> -Dave Thaler

This is "in the pipe line".
The current prototype _does_ use port numbers, however, the aim is to
move to service names in some incarnation.

I have tried to be cautious in talking about it, trying not to
complicate matters too early.
I'll make sure it is covered in the next version of the draft.

It is mentioned in Christians 2008 article "Towards A Hostname-Oriented
Network Protocol Stack for Flexible Addressing in a Dynamic Internet".
http://christianvogt.mailup.net/pub/vogt-2008-hostname-oriented-stack.pdf

// Javier