Re: [Netconf] IETF 101 SN Question 1: Proper designation of receiver

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Fri, 29 June 2018 09:05 UTC

Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 11:05:56 +0200
To: evoit@cisco.com
Cc: kwatsen@juniper.net, netconf@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [Netconf] IETF 101 SN Question 1: Proper designation of receiver

Hi,

"Eric Voit (evoit)" <evoit@cisco.com> wrote:
> Martin,
> one question specifically to you below. (search for **Martin)

See inline

> Kent,
> in line...
>
> > From: Kent Watsen, June 26, 2018 9:47 PM

[...]

> > > So can we take out address and finally be done?   That would be a good
> > thing.
> >
> > Yes, take out the address leaf but I think that, if we want to
> > progress the
> > SN draft along with a transport binding definition that doesn't depend
> > on
> > the ietf-*conf-server modules, then we might define something else
> > like:
> >
> >   module ietf-netconf-no-crypto-subscribed-notifications {
> >     prefix nncsn;
> >     import ietf-subscribed-notifications { prefix sn; }
> >
> >     container implicit-netconf-receivers {
> >       list implicit-netconf-receiver {
> >         key name;
> >         leaf name { ... }
> >         leaf address { ... }
> >         leaf port { ... }
> >       }
> >     }
> >     augment "/sn:subscriptions/sn:subscription/sn:receivers/sn:receiver" {
> >       if-feature "subscription-support";
> >       when 'derived-from(../../../transport, "nsn:netconf")';
> >       leaf netconf-endpoint {
> >         type leafref {
> >           path "/nncsn:implicit-netconf-receivers/nnccs:implicit-netconf-"
> >                + "receiver/nnccs:name";
> >         }
> >       }
> >     }
> >   }
>
> **Martin, are you ok with this.  If you are and there are no other
> **objections, I will add this and we can be done with this thread.
> **Which would be progress.  Otherwise, let's just leave things as they
> **are.

No, but it might be that I don't really understand what you propose.

What is "NETCONF no crypto"?  Comparing with "ietf-netconf-server"
model, you don't have the "server-identity".  How can this be secure?

Is the reason for this to avoid a dependency to
"draft-ietf-netconf-netconf-client-server" from
"draft-ietf-netconf-netconf-event-notifications"?

I would rather keep this dependency and ensure the WG finishes the
client-server model.  (This work was adopted by the WG in 2014 which
is even earlier than the notif drafts...)

> BTW: adding back address and port also solves the "how do we have a
> common transport across multiple configured receivers".
>
> > I don't quite understand how the server is supposed to know how to
> > configure
> > the call-home parameters or the transport parameters, but at least
> > this
> > would be on par with what you had before.
>
> Yes.

> > *implemented*, and

I think it is ok to require an implementation of configured
subscriptions that use the standard "nsn:netconf" transport to also
implement the ietf-netconf-server module.  If a vendor doesn't want
this, it can define another transport identity.

/martin