Re: [netconf] latest update to crypto-types and keystore drafts

Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com> Sat, 29 June 2019 07:21 UTC

From: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>
To: Kent Watsen <kent+ietf@watsen.net>, Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
CC: "netconf@ietf.org" <netconf@ietf.org>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2019 07:19:49 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.134.31.203]
Subject: Re: [netconf] latest update to crypto-types and keystore drafts

No I disagree.  If an admin can create it, it could be part of the
factory default config, for convenience.  A user with the right access
can delete it from the config, just as if it had been created by an
admin.

Based on your later comments, it seems that we're more in agreement than not.  Let me rephrase, if the manufacturer generated keys (with 'hidden-key' or 'hidden-private-key') are stored in the factory default datastore, per draft-ietf-netmod-factory-default, they would be read-only and hence immutable.  Now, upon that configuration being copied into <running>, the configuration would become editable and said keys could be removed.

[Qin]: Not very familiar with this security part, two questions I am curious to know:

1.      If the manufacturer generated keys (with 'hidden-key' or 'hidden-private-key') are stored in the factory default datastore, how do we protect manufacturer generated keys from leaking, encryption, signature?

2.      Public key and private key pair is usually generated together, if you put private key in factory default datastore, where do we put public key? Rely on TPM hardware to generate public key and put them into operational datastore?