Re: [netconf] [yang-doctors] Yangdoctors last call review of draft-ietf-netconf-subscribed-notifications-21

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Fri, 25 January 2019 15:29 UTC

Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2019 16:29:41 +0100
To: evoit@cisco.com
Cc: andy@yumaworks.com, rrahman@cisco.com, alexander.clemm@huawei.com, yang-doctors@ietf.org, netconf@ietf.org, draft-ietf-netconf-subscribed-notifications.all@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [netconf] [yang-doctors] Yangdoctors last call review of draft-ietf-netconf-subscribed-notifications-21

"Eric Voit (evoit)" <evoit@cisco.com> wrote:
> > From: Martin Bjorklund, January 25, 2019 3:40 AM

> > [...]
> > subscription with dscp 10?

> > > With NETCONF, one DSCP will apply to single TCP session.  So there is
> > > no
> > issue.
> >
> > The problem is if a client sends two establish-subscriptions with
> > different
> > values for dscp on the same session.  Or even if the client sends one
> > establish-
> > subscription with som dscp value, then the dscp will be applied to all
> > packets
> > from other rpcs as well.
> >
> > ... and even worse, with SSH channels you can have multiple NETCONF
> > session
> > on the same TCP session, which means that the dscp value applies to
> > all
> > packets in all NETCONF sessions sharing the same TCP session.
> >
> > I don't know what the right thing to do is.  Probably first agree that
> > this is in
> > fact a problem, then maybe simply document this somehow.
>
> I hadn't thought about multiple NETCONF SSH channels.  I agree
> something to guide developers is needed here.  The easiest fix is to
> recommend not supporting feature "dscp" with NETCONF.  (It shouldn't
> be absolutely prohibited as DSCP related RFC's such as RFC7657 embed
> text like "a single DSCP should be used for all packets in a TCP
> connection".)
>
> Here is the text I suggest is put into
> draft-ietf-netconf-netconf-event-notifications, Section 5:
>
> "The feature "dscp" SHOULD NOT be supported over NETCONF.  This will
> avoid the potential for out-of-order packet delivery of the set of all
> traffic within the TCP session."

I think this is a bit too limiting.  For configured subscriptions it
can be perfectly fine, since the server can ensure that there's a
single TCP session to the receiver in this case.  (I know we don't
support configured subscriptions at the moment).

Perhaps we can say in the SN document:

  If a server that supports the "dscp" feature cannot guarantee that
  the only packets sent on an underlying transport session are from
  the subscription, then it should reject the subscription with a
  "dscp-unavailable" error.  This will avoid the potential for
  out-of-order packet delivery of the set of all traffic within the
  TCP session.

I think such text belongs to the SN document, since it may apply to
other transports than just NETCONF.

/martin