Re: [Netconf] I-D Action: draft-wu-netconf-restconf-factory-restore-00.txt

Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com> Thu, 28 June 2018 09:42 UTC

From: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>
To: Rohit R Ranade <rohitrranade@huawei.com>, "netconf@ietf.org" <netconf@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2018 09:42:20 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.138.33.244]
Subject: Re: [Netconf] I-D Action: draft-wu-netconf-restconf-factory-restore-00.txt

Thanks Rohit for valuable review.
Please see my reply inline.

-Qin
-----邮件原件-----
发件人: Rohit R Ranade
发送时间: 2018年6月28日 13:16
收件人: Qin Wu; netconf@ietf.org

Hi Wuqin,

Some initial comments.

1.  I feel it is better if all the datastores used for source / target should be datastore-ref used from ietf-datastore module
[Qin]: Sounds good point, but the datastores used for source / target aligns with ones defined in RFC6241, shall we align with RFC6241 or RFC8342?

2.  I think the factory-restore may be helpful for the ephemeral data-stores, if they want to revert the configurations (without a reboot).
[Qin]: Yes, factory-restore operation can help ephemeral datastore to revert the configuration to factory default setting without reboot or restart.
We can add ephemeral as target in the model.

3.  ietf-restconf-restore why is it a RESTCONF module... Why any other protocol cannot use it ?
[Qin]: Good point, it is also applicable to NETCONF or others, maybe we should change module name into ietf-factory-restore.
NETCONF has already defined <delete-config> and can use <delete-config> to return
The device to factory defaults, but <delete-config> is only applicable to <startup>.

4.  RPC names factory-recovery vs factory-restore , which is correct ?
[Qin]:Good catch, we will fix this terminology inconsistency issue.

5.  Section 1
 "especially when the RESTCONF server is implemented in a
   device that does not have NETCONF support."
   ==> Better to add that Section 8.7.5.1 of RFC 6241 provides a mechanism to reset to factory defaults.
   Else users may not know why it is OK, if NETCONF is supported.
[Qin]: Good point and will clarify this in the next version.

With Regards,
Rohit R Ranade