Re: [netconf] Adoption poll for tcp-client-server and http-client-server draft

NICK HANCOCK <nick.hancock@adtran.com> Tue, 26 March 2019 14:30 UTC

From: NICK HANCOCK <nick.hancock@adtran.com>
To: Mahesh Jethanandani <mjethanandani@gmail.com>, Netconf <netconf@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 14:30:31 +0000
x-originating-ip: [172.20.48.41]
Subject: Re: [netconf] Adoption poll for tcp-client-server and http-client-server draft

I support this work to provide the ability to configure TCP keepalives for NETCONF connections as we need this support in our implementations and support the adoption of these drafts.

I also have the following comments on the actual YANG implementation and usage within the client/server model.

The leafs within the "tcp-keepalives" container are optional. Given that a server supports the feature "tcp-client-keepalives", TCP keepalives would be disabled per default through missing configuration, which I believe is desirable behavior. However, there is currently nothing to prevent a client configuring, say, just 'max-probes' only resulting in an incomplete but valid configuration. Would not adding a 'presence' statement to the container "tcp-keepalives" and making its child nodes mandatory or adding default values be a more practical solution that defines a predictable behavior?

Since TCP is a layer below the security layer and independent of the choice of security protocol, I was wondering what the motivation was for locating the TCP keepalives configuration within the SSH/TLS configuration. Wouldn't this be better located as a sibling nod to the choice "transport"?

Nick