Re: [Netconf] Last Call on yang-push-17

Alexander Clemm <alexander.clemm@huawei.com> Tue, 28 August 2018 21:02 UTC

From: Alexander Clemm <alexander.clemm@huawei.com>
To: Henk Birkholz <henk.birkholz@sit.fraunhofer.de>, "netconf@ietf.org" <netconf@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2018 21:02:07 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.193.35.68]
Subject: Re: [Netconf] Last Call on yang-push-17

Hello Henk,

thank you for your comments!  Replies inline, <ALEX>

Thanks
--- Alex

<ALEX> ok </ALEX>

> In 3.1. Subscription Model
>
> OLD:
> "YANG-push subscriptions are defined using a data model that is itself
> defined in YANG."
>
> I assume there is a good reason for not just phrasing it like - NEW:
> "YANG-push subscriptions are defined using a YANG data model."

<ALEX> sure.  After too much writing, it is easy to get dizzy:-) </ALEX>

> In 3.1. Dampening period
>
> OLD:
> "The dampening period goes into effect every time an update record
> completes assembly."
>
> For clarity (and probably implementation guidance) maybe highlight - NEW:
> "The dampening period goes into effect every time an update record
> completes assembly. As long as a dampening period is in effect, the Update
> Trigger functions the same way as with periodic subscriptions, using the
> dampening period as the periodic interval."

<ALEX> Would rather not say that they are the same - because then there is the issue of start time / anchor time etc.  I think it is clear as is.  Of course, one could say, if changes continue to occur during dampening periods, the on-change subscription behaves like a periodic description, with the dampening period as the de-facto periodic interval.  However, I don't think this is needed for clarification and would rather leave it as-is.
</ALEX>

> In 3.2.
>
> OLD:
> "However, there are no guarantees that subsequent requests which
> consider these hints will be accepted."
>
> NEW:
> "However, there are no guarantees that subsequent requests, which
> consider these hints, will be accepted."

<ALEX>  I don't think the commas are needed (but in German they would be;-) </ALEX>

> In 3.3.
>
> OLD:
> "In case of a configured subscription, the subscription MAY be suspended."
>
> NEW:
> "In case of a configured subscription, the subscription MAY be suspended by
> the publisher."

<ALEX> Changed to: "In case of a configured subscription, the publisher MAY suspend the subscription."
</ALEX>

> In 3.3. conceptual process
>
> "access control rules" are rather surprisingly introduced here and then never
> mentioned again.

<ALEX> well, it _is_ mentioned and explained in section 3.9.  To make it clearer what is meant here, rephrased the bullet item as follows:
"Just before a change, or at the start of a dampening period, evaluate any filtering and any access control rules to ensure receiver is authorized to view all subscribed datastore nodes."
</ALEX>

> In 3.3. conceptual process
>
> Same thing with "patch record" the term is only used in the context of the
> conceptual process and never again. Why is this not an update record? The
> relationship to RFC8072 is elaborated on in 3.5.2., but is surprising to be found
> here already.

<ALEX> Changed as follows:
"Construct an update record, which takes the form of YANG patch record for going from A to B."
</ALEX>

> In 3.3.
>
> OLD:
> "A publisher SHOULD reject a request for a subscription if it is unlikely that
> the publisher will be able fulfill the terms of that subscription request."
>
> NEW:
> "A publisher SHOULD reject a request for a subscription, if it is unlikely that
> the publisher will be able fulfill the terms of that subscription request."

<ALEX> I think the lack of a comma is actually correct. </ALEX>

> In 3.5.1.
>
> OLD:
> "In a periodic subscription, the data included as part of an update
> corresponds to data that could have been read using a retrieval operation."
>
> See above. Is there a difference between update and update record? If so,
> highlight it, please - Optional NEW:
> "In a periodic subscription, the data included as part of an update record
> corresponds to data that could have been read using a retrieval operation."
>
> (there are multiple occurrences)

<ALEX> Added the caveat in the terminology section, but changed it to update record here to make it more explicit that yes, indeed, this is what we are talking about.  </ALEX>

> In 3.5.2.
>
> OLD:
> "Therefore encoding rules for data in on-change updates will generally follow
> YANG-patch operation as specified in [RFC8072]."
>
> NEW:
> "Therefore, encoding rules for data in on-change updates will generally
> follow YANG-patch operation as specified in [RFC8072]."

<ALEX> ok </ALEX>

> In 3.5.2.
>
> OLD:
> "However a patch must be able to do more than just describe the delta from
> the previous state to the current state. As per Section 3.3, it must also be
> able to identify if transient changes have occurred on an object during a
> dampening period."
>
> NEW:
> "However, a patch must be able to do more than just describe the delta from
> the previous state to the current state. As per Section 3.3, it must also be
> able to identify, if transient changes have occurred on an object during a
> dampening period."

<ALEX> Added the comma after "However".  Left the non-comma before "if" but changed "if" to "whether"
</ALEX>

> In 3.6.
>
> xpath, Xpath and XPath are found in this section. More consistency cannot
> hurt.

<ALEX>, well, xpath refers to the type, whether XPath refers to XPath.  (But got rid of the "Xpath"s, per someone else's earlier comment. </ALEX>

> In 3.7.
>
> OLD:
> "First it will be used as the initial "push-update" if there is a need to
> synchronize the receiver at the start of a new subscription."
>
> NEW:
> "First, it will be used as the initial "push-update", if there is a need to
> synchronize the receiver at the start of a new subscription."

<ALEX> Sentence was already changed due to an earlier comment.  It now reads as follows:
"First, it MUST be used as the initial "push-update" if there is a need to synchronize the receiver at the start of a new subscription.  "
</ALEX>

> In 4.3.2.
>
> OLD:
> "Where it is, the relevant "subscription-id" MUST be encoded as the first
> element within each "push-update" or "push-change-update"."
>
> NEW:
> "If present, "subscription-id" MUST be encoded as the first element within
> each "push-update" or "push-change-update"."

<ALEX> This has been changed to (also per previous comment) to
"An "identifier" (that identifies the subscription) MUST be transported along with the subscribed contents.
			This allows a receiver to differentiate which subscription resulted in a particular push. "
</ALEX>

> In 4.4.1.
>
> OLD:
> "The specific parameters to be returned in as part of the RPC error response
> depend on the specific transport that is used to manage the subscription."
>
> NEW:
> "The specific parameters to be returned as part of the RPC error response
> depend on the specific transport that is used to manage the subscription."

<ALEX> done, thank you </ALEX>

> In 4.4.2.
>
> The non-normative may is intentional here, correct? Also, rpc is also low caps
> here again - more consistency cannot hurt?
> "This rpc error response may contain hints encapsulated within the yang-data
> structure "modify-subscription-error-datastore".

<ALEX> Changed rpc --> RPC.   Also, the text has been changed (may --> SHOULD), also per earlier comments. </ALEX>

> In 4.4.4.
>
> OLD:
> "This RPC is only applicable only for on-change subscriptions previously
> established using an "establish-subscription" RPC."
>
> NEW:
> "This RPC is only applicable for on-change subscriptions previously
> established using an "establish-subscription" RPC."

<ALEX> Changed to " This RPC is supported only for on-change subscriptions previously established using an "establish-subscription" RPC.", also in response to earlier request </ALEX>

> In 4.4.5.
>
> Is this intended to be a guidance section? It seems to me that the use of
> RFC6470 might be a good enough basis to warrant a SHOULD somewhere?

<ALEX> the text has been updated, also per earlier comments by Martin.
Thanks again for your valuable comments!
--- Alex
</ALEX>