Re: [Netconf] I-D Action: draft-ietf-netconf-rfc7895bis-05.txt

Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz> Mon, 05 March 2018 14:26 UTC

From: Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz>
To: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>, netconf@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2018 15:26:26 +0100
Subject: Re: [Netconf] I-D Action: draft-ietf-netconf-rfc7895bis-05.txt

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> This version addresses the WGLC comments.  Specifially, the module
> list now havs leaf-lists feature/deviation, import the term "implement
> a module" from RFC 7950, rather than redefining the term in this
> document, fixed some typos, fixed the examples to validate, updated
> references.

The draft should address the situation where one or more implemented
modules containing deviations are not listed in the "deviation" leaf-list
of the deviated module.

Currently the contents of the deviation list from sec. 3 is ambiguous in
this situation because

1. such a situation might be considered as an error in server
implementation, but it doesn't follow from the document.

2. deviations from implemented modules are applied no matter what the
"deviation" leaf-lists say.

3, the "deviation" leaf-lists are authoritative, i.e. deviations
appearing in other modules are ignored.

I would personally prefer #3 because it is easiest to handle for both
server implementors and clients.

Lada