Re: [Netconf] [yang-doctors] YANG Doctor question: empty mandatory choice?

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Mon, 30 July 2018 18:41 UTC

Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2018 20:41:42 +0200
To: evoit@cisco.com
Cc: kwatsen@juniper.net, yang-doctors@ietf.org, netconf@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [Netconf] [yang-doctors] YANG Doctor question: empty mandatory choice?

"Eric Voit (evoit)" <evoit@cisco.com> wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > "Eric Voit \(evoit\)" <evoit=40cisco.com@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:
> > > Hi YANG doctors,
> > >

> > > We are trying to close on some YANG push drafts.  There is one YANG
> > > related question I would like to bounce off of you before making a
> > > suggested change.
> > >

> > > In the thread:
> > >
> > > https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/netconf/current/msg15169.html
> > >
> > > is the following request:

> > > What I believe Kent is asking for is that the
> > > ietf-subscribed-notifications.yang model should be enhanced to mandate
> > > that transport specific call home parameters are augmented under the
> > > container “receivers”.  He wants to do this by incorporating a
> > > mandatory choice, with no cases being identified.  Cases would be
> > > added via augmentations in subsequent drafts.
> > >

> > > Specifically, Kent's proposal as per
> > >
> > > https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/netconf/current/msg15148.html
> > >
> > > is "to make the augmentation of a "notif" model mandatory (see the '+'
> > > lines below), to ensure that there is always something more than just
> > > a name being configured per receiver.
> > >

> > >       container receivers {
> > >
> > >         list receiver {
> > >
> > >           key "name";
> > >
> > >           min-elements 1;
> > >
> > >           leaf name {
> > >
> > >             type string;
> > >
> > >           }
> > >
> > >    +      choice transport {
> > >
> > >    +        mandatory true;
> > >
> > >    +        description
> > >
> > >    +          "Defines the transport-specific configuration data
> > >
> > >    +           for the selected transport.";
> > >
> > >    +      }  "
> > >

> > In a generic model like this one, I think the construct with a
> > mandatory choice
> > is ok.
>
> It sounds like YANG doctors don't have a technical objection to Kent's
> proposal of an empty mandatory choice.
>
> >  However, I am not convinced that this is the best solution for this
> >  model;
> > it depends a bit if transport is defined per receiver or per
> > subscription.
> >
> > I assume that an augmentation would be done like this:
> >
> >   module ietf-netconf-subscribed-notifications {
> >     prefix nsn;
> >
> >     identity netconf { ... }
> >
> >     augment /subscriptions/subscription/receivers/receiver/transport {
> >       when 'derived-from-or-self(../../../transport, "nsn:netconf"');
> >
> >       case netconf {
> >         // leafref to call-home config
> >       }
> >     }
> >   }
> >
> > ... so that *if* the client configures the mandatory "transport" leaf
> > "nsn:netconf", then it also MUST configure the corresponding
> > netconf-specific
> > params.
>
> I agree that this is what an augmentation would look like.  (And based
> on the "../../../transport", this augmentation assumes that the WG
> sticks with it previous position that a transport stays at the

Right, the when expression needs tweaking if the transport leaf moves.

> As the proposed augmentation by itself enforces a specific set of
> NETCONF transport parameters are configured (in the form of the
> leafref when the transport is "nsn:netconf"), do you see the empty
> mandatory choice as providing value?  I am ok with either answer on
> this, I am just trying to get closure.

The empty mandatory choice does provide value since it requires that
some transport-specific parameters are configured.  However, can we
assume that all transports require configuration parameters here?  It
is probably safest to not have a mandatory choice, and instead ensure
that each transport augements the proper params -- and since this is
YANG 1.1, the transport params that are augmented can actually be
marked as mandatory.

/martin