Re: [Netconf] comments on draft-ietf-netconf-subscribed-notifications-12

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Fri, 08 June 2018 09:02 UTC

Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 11:02:05 +0200
To: evoit@cisco.com
Cc: netconf@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [Netconf] comments on draft-ietf-netconf-subscribed-notifications-12

Hi,

"Eric Voit (evoit)" <evoit@cisco.com> wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Updated file at:
> https://github.com/netconf-wg/rfc5277bis/blob/master/draft-ietf-netconf-subscribed-notifications-13.txt
>
> > From: Martin Bjorklund, June 7, 2018 11:32 AM

[...]

> > o  Section 2.3
> >
> >   s/"QoS" feature/"qos" feature/  (twice)

You forgot this one.  The feature in the YANG model is "qos", not
"QoS".

> > o  Section 4
> >
> >   You have:
> >
> >           leaf pushed-notifications {
> >             type yang:counter64;
> >             config false;
> >             description
> >               "Operational data which provides the number of update
> >                notification messages pushed to a receiver.";
> >           }
> >
> >   Is this a left-over from previous versions?  This document doesn't
> >   define YANG push, and it doesn't define the term "update
> >   notification message".
> >
> >   Should it simply be notifications-sent, with description "A count of
> >   the number of notifications sent to the receiver."?
>
> Text wasn't left over.   But to make it as clean as possible, I changed to:
>
>           leaf count-sent {
>             type yang:counter64;

You may want to use yang:zero-based-counter64.

>             config false;
>             description
>               "The number of event records sent to the receiver.  The
>               count is initialized when a dynamic subscription is
>               established, or when a configured subscription
>               transitions to the valid state.";
>           }
>           leaf count-excluded {
>             type yang:counter64;

>From the description below, you definately want
yang:zero-based-counter64.

>             config false;
>             description
>               "The number of event records explicitly removed either
>               via an event stream filter or an access control filter so
>               that they are not passed to a receiver.  This count is
>               set to zero each time 'count-sent' is initialized.";
>           }

Ok with this, but I would prefer more descriptive leaf names.
event-records-sent and event-records-excluded perhaps.

> > o  Section 4
> >
> >     leaf encoding  should have "if-feature configured;"
> >
> >     (it is dependent on ../transport, which has the if-feature)
>
> The encoding can be set by RPC, so the issue is with the constraint.
> > (E.g., when HTTP is used, JSON and CBOR might be encodings.)
>
> Maybe the way to address this (as can be seen in the draft) is to
> > enhance the constraint to:
>
> When  ' not(boolean(../transport))  or derived-from(../transport, "sn:configurable-encoding")'

You don't need the boolean(...):

  when 'not(../transport) or derived-from(...)';

/martin