Re: [Netconf] comments on draft-ietf-netconf-subscribed-notifications-12

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Fri, 08 June 2018 14:22 UTC

Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 16:22:33 +0200
To: evoit@cisco.com
Cc: netconf@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [Netconf] comments on draft-ietf-netconf-subscribed-notifications-12

"Eric Voit (evoit)" <evoit@cisco.com> wrote:
> Updated version at:
> https://github.com/netconf-wg/rfc5277bis/blob/master/draft-ietf-netconf-subscribed-notifications-13.txt
>
> > From: Martin Bjorklund, June 8, 2018 5:02 AM
> >
> > Hi,
> >

> > "Eric Voit (evoit)" <evoit@cisco.com> wrote:
> > > Hi Martin,
> > >
> > > Updated file at:
> > > https://github.com/netconf-wg/rfc5277bis/blob/master/draft-ietf-netcon
> > > f-subscribed-notifications-13.txt

> > [...]
> >
> > You forgot this one.  The feature in the YANG model is "qos", not
> > "QoS".
>
> Change made.

> > > Text wasn't left over.  But to make it as clean as possible, I changed
> > > to:
> > >
> > >           leaf count-sent {
> > >             type yang:counter64;
> >
> > You may want to use yang:zero-based-counter64.
>
> Change made
>
> > >             config false;
> > >             description
> > >               "The number of event records sent to the receiver.  The
> > >               count is initialized when a dynamic subscription is
> > >               established, or when a configured subscription
> > >               transitions to the valid state.";
> > >           }
> > >           leaf count-excluded {
> > >             type yang:counter64;
> >
> > From the description below, you definately want
> > yang:zero-based-counter64.
>
> Change made
>
> > >             config false;
> > >             description
> > >               "The number of event records explicitly removed either
> > >               via an event stream filter or an access control filter so
> > >               that they are not passed to a receiver.  This count is
> > >               set to zero each time 'count-sent' is initialized.";
> > >           }
> >

> > Ok with this, but I would prefer more descriptive leaf names.
> > event-records-sent and event-records-excluded perhaps.
>
> Left it as "count-sent" and "count-excluded".  Reason is that the
> "count-sent" can be reused for yang-push notifications without casual
> users needing to read through all the descriptions to understand that
> a "push-update" notification is actually a form of event record.

But the name of the leaf doesn't change the semantics.  The
description says "number of event records", so your casual user still
have to understand that a YANG Push notif is an event record.

BTW, it is not clear from the YANG push document that a YANG push
notif really is an event record.  It uses the term "update record",
and use the term "event record" in just one place.  This term should
be imported from Subscribed-notifications, and used.

/martin