Re: [Netconf] comments on draft-ietf-netconf-subscribed-notifications-12

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Fri, 15 June 2018 08:49 UTC

Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 10:49:29 +0200
To: evoit@cisco.com
Cc: alexander.clemm@huawei.com, alex@clemm.org, j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de, netconf@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [Netconf] comments on draft-ietf-netconf-subscribed-notifications-12

"Eric Voit (evoit)" <evoit@cisco.com> wrote:
> > From: Martin Bjorklund, June 14, 2018 2:40 PM

> > notification.
> > unclear.

> > > Exactly.
> > >
> > > Note that there was no terms imported from 5277.
> > > Subscribed-notifications does define an umbrella term "notification
> > > message", and uses Section 2.6 to make the minimal connection
> > > necessary to show that an RFC-5277 <notification> is a valid
> > > "notification message".  BTW: We had text in earlier versions of
> > > subscribed-notifications stating the need to support future types of
> > > "notification messages" such as those defined in
> > > draft-ietf-netconf-notification-messages.  However reviewers asked
> > > these evolving references to be removed.
> > >
> > > We do have the option of importing terms from 6241 into the
> > > NETCONF-notif document.  This would be the right place to do it
> > > because in the subscribed-notifications document we want to limit any
> > > introduction of NETCONF dependencies.  (Maybe NETCONF-notif adds text
> > > to say that a "RFC6241 client" maps to subscriber, and "RFC6241
> > > server" maps to publisher?)
> >
> > 8342 defines the terms "client" and "server" in a transport-agnostic
> > way.  I
> > think we should try to use these terms in new documents, where
> > applicable.
> > In this document, the term "subscriber" is a special "client".
>
> Agreed.  Terminology section updated per the last email.
>
> > I am not sure that a "publisher" is always a "server"; this needs to
> > be decided.
>
> I think that within YANG-push, a publisher is a special RFC-8342
> "server".  Perhaps what we could add to YANG push in the terminology a
> sentence which says "In this document, the term publisher also
> includes the role of RFC-8342 server."

Can we first agree on the basic terminology in
subscribed-notifications?

First question: are server and publisher potentially different entites
or not?

Looking at restconf-notif, it seems to me that the publisher is an
HTTP2 client, i.e., a different entity than the RESTCONF server.

Is this correct:

NETCONF:
   subscriber is a NETCONF client
   publisher is a NETCONF server
   receiver is a NETCONF client

RESTCONF

   subscriber is a RESTCONF client
   (NOTE 1)
   publisher is a HTTP2 client
   receiver is a HTTP2 server

UDP

   subscriber is a NETCONF/RESTCONF client
   publisher is a UDP client
   receiver is a UDP server

NOTE 1: the RESTCONF server is missing from this picture.  It doesn't
have a special term...

I assume this work is not applicable to CoMI?

/martin