Re: [Netconf] Solicit comments on inline action capability for NETCONF

Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com> Wed, 04 July 2018 04:43 UTC

From: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>
To: Rohit R Ranade <rohitrranade@huawei.com>, "Zhengguangying (Walker)" <zhengguangying@huawei.com>
CC: "netconf@ietf.org" <netconf@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2018 04:43:33 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.138.33.244]
Subject: Re: [Netconf] Solicit comments on inline action capability for NETCONF

Hi, Rohi:
发件人: Rohit R Ranade
发送时间: 2018年7月4日 10:52
收件人: Qin Wu; Zhengguangying (Walker)
抄送: netconf@ietf.org

Hi Wuqin / Walker,

Section 1

“However which
   data node is applied to which configuration datastore is not
   specified under "action".
”
RFC 8342 is clear that “action” is always invoked in the context of <operational> datastore.
Section 6.2:
“Actions are always invoked in the context of the operational state
   datastore.  The node for which the action is invoked MUST exist in
   the operational state datastore.
”
[Qin]: Good quotation, we are surprised the action defined in RFC7950 is restricted to being invoked only in operational state datastore,

Limit action to operational state datastore has benefit to avoid operation conflict on the same conceptual node in the underlying

 data model. but see more useful to invoke action on configuration datastore as well, e.g.,<running>.

Is there any user scenario where config and action both MUST happen together ? If so, I feel the introduction can elaborate more on such scenario.

[Qin]:Yes, invoking action on configuration datastore is our key use cases,e.g., batch operation on 100 interfaces and enable Interface statistics and
Then set MTU value to a specific interface. Enable interface statistics on 100 interfaces will happen first and then MTU value setup.
These operations have no conflict risk and can execute in any order in one transaction, it will be great to introduce this multi-sub operations in one transaction.

In Some other cases when action is invoked in operational state datastore, we can use <operational> to get learned configuration and translate them into static configuration.

With Regards,
Rohit R Ranade