Re: [netconf] IANA templates for algorithms

Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz> Wed, 19 February 2020 08:55 UTC

From: Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz>
To: Kent Watsen <kent+ietf@watsen.net>, "netconf@ietf.org" <netconf@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 09:55:31 +0100
Subject: Re: [netconf] IANA templates for algorithms

Kent Watsen <kent+ietf@watsen.net> writes:

> From our session at IETF 106, there was a suggestion to follow the “template” pattern forged by draft-ietf-dnsop-iana-class-type-yang, which provides an XSLT script that generates a YANG module by processing as input the XML for the separately maintained "DNS Parameters” registry, specifically https://www.iana.org/assignments/dns-parameters/dns-parameters.xml.  The IANA workflow is:
>
>     1) whenever updating the DNS Parameters registry...
>             - for whatever RFC may be requesting it
>
>     2) also update the YANG module...
>             - by re-running the XSLT script again over the updated XML file

Strictly speaking, the XSLT stylesheet is still intended only for producing the initial revision of the module.

Re-running the stylesheet on a later revision of the registry would essentially work, only the revision history would be lost. I don't see any easy workaround to this.

It is up to IANA (we can help them) to decide whether the YANG module will be updated as before, e.g. by manually adding new enums, identities etc., or whether they use the stylesheet and then manually edit the revision history.

Maybe it would be useful to write an informational RFC suggesting a workflow for these cases.

Lada