[Netconf] [netconf] draft-ietf-netconf-nmda-netconf Filtering order

Rohit R Ranade <rohitrranade@huawei.com> Thu, 31 May 2018 08:53 UTC

From: Rohit R Ranade <rohitrranade@huawei.com>
To: "netconf@ietf.org" <netconf@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 08:53:39 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.18.150.121]
Subject: [Netconf] [netconf] draft-ietf-netconf-nmda-netconf Filtering order

Hi All,

Consider a case where user purposefully gave conflicting filters. For eg :

l  Give data-store as <operational>

l  origin-filter=default

l  with-defaults=trim

I know this is not a valid use-case for User, but since there are filters which are of type "select X/ select all except X", I wanted to get the ordering correct.

Now in such case, consider two order of applying filters,

1)       Consider that we apply origin-filter=default first, then all the leaf having default values along with their keys will be selected. Then when with-defaults=trim is applied, all the leaf are trimmed and only the Keys will remain in selection output.

2)       Consider that we apply with-defaults=trim first, then all records without their default values for leaf will remain. Next when apply origin-filter=default, since there are no default-valued leaf, all the records will be filtered out. So nothing selected.

Now in the draft, it is mentioned that filter criteria are logically AND'ed.
First criteria : Select default origin leaf
Second criteria : Donot select default leaf

According to my understanding, If we AND these criteria, we end up getting "DONOT select default leaf". So we should apply order 2) .. Order 1) is not a valid order in this case then. Your thoughts ?

With Regards,
Rohit R Ranade