Re: [Netconf] WG adoption poll for draft-lhotka-netconf-restconf-transactions-00

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Wed, 08 August 2018 07:36 UTC

Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2018 09:36:46 +0200 (CEST)
To: mjethanandani@gmail.com
Cc: netconf@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [Netconf] WG adoption poll for draft-lhotka-netconf-restconf-transactions-00

Hi,

I like the idea of having a "private candidate" or "staging"
datastore.  However, I don't think the solution in this draft is
adequate.  Specifically, I don't think we can change the semantics of
the existing {+restconf}/data resource.

I think a better solution would be to introduce "staging" as a proper
NMDA datastore, with associated rpcs (similar to the ones in this
draft (*)).  This has the advantage that "staging" becomes available
not only for RESTCONF, but also for NETCONF.

(*) I think that maybe some other operations on "staging" might be
useful as well, such as validate and confirmed-commit.

When this draft was presented in Montreal, someone made a comment that
clients often construct a single message with all changes and send it
in one go.  This is my experience as well, but even in such
environments this capability can be useful for orchestration of
network-wide transactions.

FWIW, we have a "transaction" capability for NETCONF that has turned
out to be very useful (it's been used at least since 2007).  It is
consists of rpcs to start a transaction towards any datastore, and
then it exposes std two-phase commit operations via NETCONF rpcs.
This is stateful (tied to the session), so it doesn't work that well
for RESTCONF.  I would love to see a standard solution that could
replace this, and also work for RESTCONF.

/martin