Re: [netconf] updates to client/server suite of drafts

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Thu, 21 November 2019 11:11 UTC

Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 12:10:27 +0100
To: kent+ietf@watsen.net
Cc: netconf@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [netconf] updates to client/server suite of drafts

Hi,

Two quick comments inline.

Kent Watsen <kent+ietf@watsen.net> wrote:
> I just pushed an update to all the client/server drafts (except TCP).  Below is the change log entry for each draft.
>
> The most noteworthy update is that the http-01 update should (hopefully) resolve the concerns raised by the httpbis chairs.
>
> The biggest non-update is that the "config false" algs-supported lists were NOT moved from crypto-types to the ssh/tls drafts, only because I ran out of time (and I'm hoping that my co-authors all do it).
>
> There are still number of FIXME's remaining in the drafts.
>
> Kent // contributor
>

> crypto-types:
>    -  Added the four features: "[encrypted-]one-[a]symmetric-key-
>       format", each protecting a 'key-format' identity of the same name.
>    -  Added 'must' expressions asserting that the 'key-format' leaf
>       exists whenever a non-hidden key is specified.

This can be made simpler:

OLD:

       leaf public-key-format {
         nacm:default-deny-write;
         when "../public-key";
         type identityref {
           base public-key-format;
         }
         description "Identifies the key's format.";
       }
       leaf public-key {
         nacm:default-deny-write;
         type binary;
         must "../public-key-format";
         mandatory true;
         description
           "The binary value of the public key.  The interpretation
            of the value is defined by 'public-key-format' field.";
       }

Now, since public-key is mandatory, the 'when' expression on
public-key-format will always be true (in a valid config).  Hence it
isn't needed.  And also, since public-key is mandatory the must on
public-key really just says that public-key-format is also mandatory:

NEW:

       leaf public-key-format {
         nacm:default-deny-write;
         mandatory true;
         type identityref {
           base public-key-format;
         }
         description "Identifies the key's format.";
       }
       leaf public-key {
         nacm:default-deny-write;
         type binary;
         mandatory true;
         description
           "The binary value of the public key.  The interpretation
            of the value is defined by 'public-key-format' field.";
       }

>    -  Improved the 'description' statements and added 'reference'
>       statements for the 'key-format' identities.
>    -  Added a questionable forward reference to "encrypted-*" leafs in a
>       couple 'when' expressions.

Questionable indeed.  I suggest you remove the when expression
instead. You have must expressions that says thatt the key-format leaf
must exist in the relevant cases anyway.

/martin