Re: [Netconf] I-D Action: draft-wu-netconf-restconf-factory-restore-00.txt

Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com> Fri, 29 June 2018 01:39 UTC

From: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>
To: Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz>, "netconf@ietf.org" <netconf@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 01:39:27 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.138.33.244]
Subject: Re: [Netconf] I-D Action: draft-wu-netconf-restconf-factory-restore-00.txt

Hi, Lada:
-----邮件原件-----
发件人: Ladislav Lhotka [mailto:lhotka@nic.cz]
发送时间: 2018年6月28日 20:38
收件人: Qin Wu; netconf@ietf.org

Hi,

I have a couple of additional comments:

I have an intuitive idea of what factory default configuration is, and many devices offer means for activating it. I see it as a useful addition to enable RESTCONF clients to activate it, if the device supports such a function.

However, I don't understand this text in sec. 2.1:

   The factory default setting datastore assumes the place of the
   datastore resource as defined in [RFC8040] Section 3.4.  This means
   that the entire datastore resources inside the "{+restconf}/data"
   subtree correspond to data instances in the factory default setting
   datastore.  Therefore, the contents of the factory default setting
   datastore can be retrieved by means of the GET method as specified in
   [RFC8040] and but can not be modified by means of PUT methods as
   specified in [RFC8040].

This looks like the factory default datastore is what the RESTCONF client edits, which makes no sense to me.

In fact, this paragraph is almost literally copied from draft-lhotka-netconf-restconf-transactions-00. In my draft, though, it is intentional that the user's staging datastore appears exactly as the "unified" datastore in RESTCONF. It is IMO not the case in your draft.

If the factory default configuration is made accessible to the RESTCONF client (which is definitely useful), it should be a read-only datastore, and the resource representing it should be something like

    {+restconf}/ds/ietf-restconf-restore:factory-default

[Qin]: Good comment, combining with Jurgen and Rohi's comments, here is the proposed change to section 2.1
"
2.1.  The factory default Datastore Resource

   This document introduces a new datastore resource named 'Factory default setting' that represents datastore
   with its preconfigured initial state. This datastore resource is available using the following resource path:

   {+restconf}/ds/ietf-restconf-restore:factory-default
   'ietf-restconf-restore:factory-default' path component is encoded as an "identity" according to the JSON encoding
   rules for identities, defined in Section 4 of [RFC7951].  Such an identity MUST be derived from the "datastore" identity
   defined in the "ietf-datastores" YANG module [RFC8342].

   When the factory default configuration is made accessible to the RESTCONF client The Factory default datastore is essentially
   a read only datastore.
"

Section 2 says:

   A RESTCONF server implementing this document ... is implemented in a
   device that does not have a NETCONF server [RFC8040].

On the other hand, the descriptions of all features defined in the YANG module require each feature to be set if it corresponding NETCONF capability is advertised. This seems contradictory to the above statement.

[Qin]: Good catch, will fix this. Thanks.

Thanks, Lada