Re: [Netconf] IETF 101 SN Question 1: Proper designation of receiver

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Fri, 29 June 2018 08:34 UTC

Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 10:33:56 +0200
To: evoit@cisco.com
Cc: kwatsen@juniper.net, netconf@ietf.org, timjenki@cisco.com, alex@clemm.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [Netconf] IETF 101 SN Question 1: Proper designation of receiver

Hi,

"Eric Voit (evoit)" <evoit@cisco.com> wrote:
> > From: Martin Bjorklund, June 26, 2018 4:13 PM
> > Subject: Re: [Netconf] IETF 101 SN Question 1: Proper designation of
> > receiver

> > would be implemented.

> > Right?

> > models.

> > Streams";

> > {
> > an

> > level.

> > scalability.

> > subscription?  I assume not.
> > >
> > > Why not?
> >
> > How would a server know that a certain configured receiver is the same
> > as an
> > ongoing session?  And as a client, suppose I just opened a session to
> > send one
> > request and then I plan to close the sesssion.  I probably don't want
> > notifs on
> > this session as well.
>
> This is a valid scenario.  And while a fix for the current solution
> would be quite easy to do in text (i.e., through defining expectations
> of client behavior), it is not necessary to force this complexity on
> the client.  So instead I propose updating the first paragraph of
> NETCONF-notif, section 6.2 to the following:
>
> "When a configured subscription enters the "valid" state, there is no
> guarantee a usable NETCONF transport session is currently in place
> with each associated receiver.  As a result, the first configured
> subscription to a specific receiver MUST establish a NETCONF transport
> session via NETCONF call home [RFC8071] , section 4.1.  This transport
> session MUST then be used by additional configured subscriptions
> targeting that the same receiver.  This same receiver is identifiable
> on the publisher as one which targets the same address and port used
> to establish the existing NETCONF call home connection.

This is not enough / correct.  You also need to take the user name
into account.

> This transport
> session MAY also be used by dynamic subscriptions and/or
> non-subscription related NETCONF operations originated by the NETCONF
> client.
>
> Until a "subscription-started" state change notification is
> successfully sent for a configured subscription, that subscription's
> receiver MUST remain in either the "connecting" or the "timeout"
> state."

> > subscriptions?
> > >
> > > If the "transport", "address", "port" are the same, then a single
> > > transport session can be used.
> >
> > What if the encoding is different?
>
> When there really is a different encoding for NETCONF (which is
> currently not supported in accordance with you earlier comments), we
> have the option of adding "encoding" to the list of properties which
> demand a different transport.  However as there are not multiple
> encodings for NETCONF here, it is easy to ignore for now, especially
> as an implementation can simply define a different port for the target
> connection should the receiver really want different encoding someday.
>
> > What if the users are different?
>
> As you can identify specific ports with different call home, this will
> cover different users if a receiver can't de-multiplex.

The solution must be robust enough to correctly handle all cases that
it allows to be confgigured.

Anyway, if this whole issue is handled in the transport documents, I
am happy.  Some transports will likely support this, and some will
not.

> > Etc.  The point is that maybe there are cases when this can be done,
> > but you
> > need to spell this out.
>
> For receiver configuration data right now, we just have receiver
> "name" which is a string.  There is no need to tell vendors how to do
> call home configuration as this isn't really in scope.  Solutions here
> will come soon enough with Kent's draft.
>
> > > During the reviews however, you and Kent have argued away both "port"
> > > and "address" from being objects under the receiver.  So vendor
> > > specific augmentations will be needed to identify "address"
> > > and "port".
> >
> > I expect such objects to be added by the transport docs, not by
> > vendors
> > (except for vendor-specific transports).
>
> Per the parallel thread with Kent, I fully support augmenting the call
> home document when it is ready.
>
> I think what we have now is fine.  Note: we can always re-add
> "address" and "port" back to SN if enough people want to re-insert
> explicit receiver identification within the YANG model

No!  That would be a big mistake, since address and port are not
enough for receiver identification.  Hopefully you agree by now.

> , and not leave
> it up to vendors.  But we have already argued this one sufficiently.
> I would rather just declare the current solution sufficient.
>
> > > (Unless you are now ok with letting these objects back into the draft,
> > > just for the purposes of enable this a common receiver transport
> > > session identification.)  The other option is to have a future leafref
> > > augmented to ietf-netconf-server.yang as described above.

> > > I have added the following to the NETCONF-Notif document section on
> > configured subscriptions:
> > >

> > > "It is possible to have multiple configured subscriptions sharing a
> > > common transport to a single receiver.  The method of identifying that
> > > a receiver happens to be the same as used with another subscription is
> > > left up to implementers of this specification."
> >
> > I don't think this helps.  It means that the client has no way of
> > knowing on
> > which sessions to expect notifs.
>
> You are right that it won't be in the YANG file.  But that is the
> result when you argued "address" and "port" out of receivers.

See above.

/martin