Re: [netconf] FIXMEs in ietf-crypto-types and client/server models

Henk Birkholz <henk.birkholz@sit.fraunhofer.de> Wed, 06 November 2019 07:56 UTC

To: Kent Watsen <kent+ietf@watsen.net>, Balázs Kovács <balazs.kovacs@ericsson.com>
CC: "netconf@ietf.org" <netconf@ietf.org>
From: Henk Birkholz <henk.birkholz@sit.fraunhofer.de>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2019 08:56:00 +0100
Subject: Re: [netconf] FIXMEs in ietf-crypto-types and client/server models

Hi Balázs,
hi list,

Item 3.) is on me, I think. Sorry!

For me personally, there are a few technical questions that have to be
resolved on the list first.

Under the assumption that the trust stores will be used for TLS (maybe
potential other things), I am not sure if the YANG module is an
appropriate place to make some (maybe implicit?)
"mandatory-to-implement" decisions. If there can be (and I think
effectively there should be, but I do not know the appropriate place for
them) prescriptive statements here, I would recommend the following
proposals for the use with TLS:

1.) With respect to the format of the "raw" pub-key, I propose that the
structure defined in section 3 of RFC 7250 MUST be used.

2.) With respect to cipher suite and interoperability, I propose to make
RFC 7151 and RFC 4492 (basically the NIST curve and its format
extensions) mti for raw pub-key and to point to RFC 7250 for guidance &
to make RFC6635 mti for psk.

3.) With respect to key identities, I propose that raw pub-key
identities as specified in RFC 6920 and a minimum hash length enabled by
mode sha-256-120 MUST be used & to support and recommend the use of
Identity Hints (section 5.2. in RFC 4279) for PSKs and refer to the
corresponding security considerations (section 7 in RFC 4279).

My first question - on a technical level: do these proposals in the
context of using TLS sound reasonable to the group?

My second question - on a semantic level: do these normative
requirements belong here?

My third question - on a noob level :) If they belong here, where would
these mandatory requirements be spelled out?

Viele Grüße,

Henk