Re: [Netconf] I-D Action: draft-ietf-netconf-udp-pub-channel-04.txt

Tianran Zhou <zhoutianran@huawei.com> Fri, 26 October 2018 05:55 UTC

From: Tianran Zhou <zhoutianran@huawei.com>
To: "Eric Voit (evoit)" <evoit@cisco.com>, Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
CC: "netconf@ietf.org" <netconf@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 05:54:44 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.47.120.241]
Subject: Re: [Netconf] I-D Action: draft-ietf-netconf-udp-pub-channel-04.txt

Hi Eric and Martin,

>In theory it could be transport-agnostic.  But it also could be specific to what the authors are trying to do with UDP and draft-zhou-netconf-multi-stream-originators.   (If the authors wants to attempt a generalization here, I would be interested in providing review/input.  It is a complex topic.)

What we want to do is an easy way just specific to this UPC module. We may add an transport leaf and the receiver info.
But I would like to hear how this can be generalized so that draft-zhou-netconf-multi-stream-originators may use. I did not quite realize how this fate-sharing is generally exist.
For example, for this UPC. If the subscription channel is terminated, just terminate the UPC as well. What's the problem? I really hope the experience on the restconf transport can help. Thanks.

>I think so. There are other coupled complexities which likely need to be addressed in unison.  These include the independent entities "subscription server" and "component subscription server" described in the solution overview.   While these entities are best defined in draft-zhou-netconf-multi-stream-originators, the pub-channel draft does depend on that componentization.  And this breakdown should add new items to the SN YANG model.  (e.g., what subset of XPATH filters should be handled by each "component subscription server".)

I also think the SN YANG model need to be extended to support multi-publishers. For example, as in the new update, https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-zhou-netconf-multi-stream-originators/
To check the data integrity, in section 6, we require a list of message generator IDs included in the response of the "establish-subscription" and "modify-subscription", and "subscription-started" and "subscription-modified" notifications as well.
But to Eric's example "e.g., what subset of XPATH filters should be handled by each "component subscription server"", what's the problem? What do you think should be considered to extend the SN YANG model?

Thanks,
Tianran