[netconf] Mirja Kühlewind's No Objection on draft-ietf-netconf-yang-push-22: (with COMMENT)

Mirja Kühlewind via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Tue, 30 April 2019 14:45 UTC

From: Mirja Kühlewind via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-netconf-yang-push@ietf.org, Kent Watsen <kent+ietf@watsen.net>, netconf-chairs@ietf.org, kent+ietf@watsen.net, netconf@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 07:45:36 -0700
Subject: [netconf] Mirja Kühlewind's No Objection on draft-ietf-netconf-yang-push-22: (with COMMENT)

Mirja Kühlewind has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-netconf-yang-push-22: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netconf-yang-push/

COMMENT:

A small comment/question mostly regarding section 3.4:
I wondering what happens if the system crashes or is in a state where not even
a notification can be sent anymore...? Is the assumption that a crash could be
detected because the transport connection  goes away? However, that would mean
that there is requirement that the transport must be connection-oriented and
maybe also support some kind of keep-alive mechanism. Given this document tries
to be transport-agnostic (as it relies on
I-D.draft-ietf-netconf-subscribed-notifications), I don't think that is a safe
assumption and should at least be further discussed. My understanding was that
I-D.draft-ietf-netconf-subscribed-notifications assumes an active connection
for dynamic subscriptions, but I guess this does not have to be the case for a
configured subscription...?

Also there seems to be an implicit assumption that the chosen transport is
reliable in order for the system to work as expected. If that is the case, I
think that it could be good to spelled that out in the document as a
requirement as well. I guess all transports available today for YANG
(NETCONF/RETSCONF) are reliable but that might not be the case in future.