Re: [Netconf] IETF 101 SN Question 1: Proper designation of receiver

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Tue, 26 June 2018 08:10 UTC

Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 10:10:45 +0200
To: evoit@cisco.com
Cc: kwatsen@juniper.net, netconf@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [Netconf] IETF 101 SN Question 1: Proper designation of receiver

"Eric Voit (evoit)" <evoit@cisco.com> wrote:
> [...]
> ietf-netconf-server.yang
>
>   import ietf-subscribed-notifications { prefix sn; }
>   import ietf-netconf-subscribed-notifications { prefix nsn; }
>
>   feature subscription-support {
>     description
>         "The 'subscription-support' feature indicates that the NETCONF server
>          supports configured subscriptions over call-home connections.";
>        reference
>         "RFC xxxx: Customized Subscriptions to a Publisher's Event Streams";
>      }
>
>  augment "/sn:subscriptions/sn:subscription/sn:receivers/sn:receiver" {
>    if-feature "subscription-support";
>    when 'derived-from(../../../transport, "nsn:netconf")';
>    description
>       "This augmentation allows NETCONF specific parameters to be exposed
>       for a receiver.";
>     leaf netconf-endpoint {
>       type leafref {
>         path "/ncs:netconf-server/ncs:call-home/ncs:netconf-client/ncs:name";
>       }
>       description
>         "Remote client which need to initiate the NETCONF transport if an
>         existing NETCONF session from that client is not available.";
>     }
>   }
>
> With such a construct, it is impossible to add a leafref (or grouping)
> within ietf-subscribed-notifications unless ietf-netconf-server.yang
> exists.

> > > If you have 500 subscriptions, you then have to populate 500 identical
> > groupings.
> >
> > No, you have one grouping, with 500
> > /netconf-server/call-home/netconf-client
> > instances.
>
> Yes.  But I don't know why someone would voluntarily do add 500
> repeated elements to a configuration datastore.
>
> > >  And yes this is possible.  But it makes the part of me which likes
> > > Normalized  data quite uncomfortable.
> > >
> > > But as I said before, it the WG wants such redundancy, fine.  Either
> > > choice need not impact decisions as part of LC.
> >
> > I don't believe that is a WG-preference thing, so much as an outcome
> > of the
> > current design, which is that each receiver for each subscription has
> > its own
> > state-machine and protocol messages.  There is no sharing; no two
> > receives can
> > use the same RFC 6241 NETCONF session, which effectively translates to
> > each
> > receiver having its own /netconf-server/call-home/netconf-client
> > instance,
> > right?
>
> This is incorrect.  Protocol and state-machine messages have been
> decoupled from the transport session.
>
> I am not sure why you think that subscriptions are unable to use a
> common NETCONF session?  Implementations of dynamic NETCONF
> subscriptions have been doing this for years.  Subscription
> multiplexing of configured and dynamic subscriptions over a common
> transport is a pre-requisite for solution scalability.

I don't think muliplexing of configured and dynamic subscriptions over
a single session is possible.  If this is the intention of the current
design, the document needs to explain how this is supposed to be done.

Multiplexing multiple configured subscriptions over a single transport
session could be possible, but the document doesn't mention this.
Again, if this is the intention, it needs to be properly described in
the document.

This said, "session sharing" can be acheived with the current design,
as well as with the alternative design where the protocol is defined
per receiver rather than per subscription.  But it won't be
interoperable unless it is described.

/martin