Re: [netext] I-D Action: draft-ietf-netext-pd-pmip-09.txt

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> Fri, 21 June 2013 17:23 UTC

Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 19:23:27 +0200
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
To: Jouni Korhonen <jouni.nospam@gmail.com>
Cc: netext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [netext] I-D Action: draft-ietf-netext-pd-pmip-09.txt

Le 21/06/2013 10:39, Jouni Korhonen a écrit :

> On Jun 20, 2013, at 4:45 PM, Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> The functionality offered to the Mobile Router, as described in this
>> draft, is similar if not the same as what the 64share draft does
>> draft-ietf-v6ops-64share-07 behaviour called 'IPv6 tethering' and
>> witnessed on smartphones on cellular operators.
>
> Obviously we are and were aware of this all the time..

That is good.  But also obviously if one is done the other is not needed.

>> A deployer of Mobile Routers faces thus two alternatives: should use
>> 64share exclusively on the smartphone?  Or should deploy PMIP-PD in the
>> infrastructure?  It's pointless to do both.
>
> You are missing one thing here. What NETEXT is doing is specific to
> PMIPv6 and fixes/clarifies a specific issue related to prefix delegation.

I thought both were specific to IPv6.

>> Remark also that 64share v6ops discussion seems to have an oppinion with
>> respect to DHCPv6-PD (it is the right thing to do), yet no oppinion
>> about PMIP-PD.
>>
>> Given these aspects, I am surprised there is no reference from one draft
>> to the other.
>
> Because there is no need. The v6ops work is independent of what NETEXT is
> doing and what NETEXT is doing cannot prohibit an operator deploying what
> v6ops is defining..

I am not going then to ask why NETEXT is doing what is doing, neither v6ops.

But it is surprising these two alternatives realize the same
functionality.  Whether you want to agree to this or not is another
matter :-)

Alex