[Netext] next steps for netext

Basavaraj.Patil at nokia.com (Basavaraj.Patil at nokia.com) Mon, 06 April 2009 15:49 UTC

From: "Basavaraj.Patil at nokia.com"
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 17:49:06 +0200
Subject: [Netext] next steps for netext

Hi Jari,

I think the discussion (or argument as you put it) at the BoF was useful. It
highlighted the fact that there is a good amount of misunderstanding on what
can be done w.r.t multihoming or inter-technology handovers.
There are some aspects of multihoming that can be clearly separated, i.e the
flow mobility vs the ability of having a host attached via multiple
interfaces to the same LMA or dynamically establishing additional moobility
sessions. We could narrow down aspects of multihoming which could fit into
the scope of the charter.
There has been some discussion (online and offline) about the
inter-technology handovers. The intent of the work item within Netext is to
clarify host behavior to support such handovers.
There is obviously quite a strong view of making host changes to support any
of the features (multihoming or intertechnology handovers). I believe that
there will be a class of hosts which will have the capability to support
multihoming and support inter-technology handovers. As long as we do not
break the PMIP6 RFC (5213), I think it makes sense to specify these
features. For unmodiified hosts, we can agree that they will not be able to
perform inter-tech handovers or be support any of the multihoming scenarios.
But to categorically avoid specifying these features within Netext (or IETF)
will only result in non-standard implementations.

The proposed charter below is a start. But I do believe that we need to
include the multihoming and inter-tech handover features as well with the
caveat that they should not break backwards compatibility with RFC5213 and
are applicable only for hosts which "MAY" have certain implementations that
are viewed by some as being modified IP hosts. FWIW we did say that Netext
does not mandate "no changes to the host" but will make all efforts to limit
them and try to find solutions that are network centric.

-Raj