[Netext] next steps for netext

marco.liebsch at nw.neclab.eu (Marco Liebsch) Tue, 07 April 2009 07:38 UTC

From: "marco.liebsch at nw.neclab.eu"
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 09:38:20 +0200
Subject: [Netext] next steps for netext

We should take RFC4831 as reference doc, which is the design goals document,
not RFC4830, as it's the PS. It says what is acceptable, in my
understanding. Referring
to section 3.7, which is about Support for Unmodified Hosts, it first
says 'Support' for
unmodified hosts. That's what RFC5213 does. It does not exclude modified
hosts.
More important, the same section says: "Note that this goal does NOT
mean that the
mobile node has no software at all associated with mobility."... That
looks pretty clear.

In my opinion, important is that unmodified hosts are supported, which
is a requirement
we meet. To support enhanced use cases, some supporting software seems to be
acceptable in my opinion and obviously also according to RFC4831. We should
distinguish modification for mobility management, which is not what we
want to do,
and enabling local functions, such as the use of multiple interfaces,
where you have
to add routes, configure interfaces etc. to enable the use case.

marco