[Netext] next steps for netext

domagoj.premec.ext at nsn.com (Domagoj Premec) Tue, 07 April 2009 10:55 UTC

From: "domagoj.premec.ext at nsn.com"
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 12:55:31 +0200
Subject: [Netext] next steps for netext

Hi Hesham, all,

> What's being said here is "PMIP
> doesn't support advanced cases therefore we need something
> new", which is completely bogus because PMIP was not designed
> to support those cases because we already have something else
> for supporting those cases. Hence my reference to 4830...

Both 3GPP and WiMAX adopted PMIP6 as means for inter-access handover. Such
large scale managed networks are the main consumers of PMIP6 so we shouldn't
be ignoring what they're doing. Saying to use MIP for inter-access
handovers/multihoming is not helping as they have really set their mind on
using PMIP6 and they're already doing this. Without going into the reasoning
behind such a decision, the fact is that PMIP6, as defined in RFC 5213, has
issues with inter-access handovers. I think it is better to fix those PMIP6
issues in the IETF then to let each SDO come up with their own way of
dealing with this.

domagoj