[Netext] next steps for netext

sgundave at cisco.com (Sri Gundavelli) Wed, 08 April 2009 21:46 UTC

From: "sgundave at cisco.com"
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 14:46:33 -0700
Subject: [Netext] next steps for netext

Domagoj,

On Wed, 8 Apr 2009, Domagoj Premec wrote:

> Sri,
>
>> - Inter-tech handovers are supported in PMIPv6
>
> I disagree with this statement. In case of inter-tech handover, the MAG in
> the new access needs to send a PBU with the HI set to "2: Handoff between
> two different interfaces of the mobile node". How does the new MAG know that
> the attachment should be treated as a handover and not as a new session? In
> the absence of any other indications, the MAG will treat this as a new
> attachment, which results in multihoming with a different prefix and no
> handover.

Can a deployment have terminals that only do single attach. Can
that information be tied to the mobile's policy profile. Is it
possible such information is available to the MAG ?

Can AAA or other session manager have the awareness of the current
existing session. Can the MAG leverage such information and
derive if its a handover or a new attach ?

So, its possible for the MAG to derive that information from the
network, in many cases, including in 3GPP, as Vijay pointed out
for single attach.

Sri

> domagoj

>>> A. Multihoming