RFC-1314 and MIME

"Alan R. Katz" <katz@adonis.com> Tue, 23 February 1993 22:54 UTC

Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1993 13:54:11 -0800
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: "Alan R. Katz" <katz@adonis.com>
To: Erik.Huizer@surfnet.nl
Cc: Cohen@adonis.com, mhn@stubbs.ucop.edu, netfax@stubbs.ucop.edu
Subject: RFC-1314 and MIME

> In MIME there are two image file subtypes predefined (as examples they tell
> me :-): GIF and JPEG. It was explained to me that RFC-1314 was not included
> because the WG effort on this ran in parallel with MIME. Do you know if in
> the meantime a RFC-1314 image format has been registered for MIME, or if any
> attempts to this respect have been made?
>
> Can you give me pointers to RFC-1314 conformant software?
>
> Erik Huizer
SURFnet bv

Hi Erik,

I am no longer at ISI and no longer work on network fax.

RFC-1314 WAS a registered MIME type at the time it came out.  I don't
know why it was left out of the most recent MIME document.  It is true
that the Netfax working group (which did RFC1314) and the MIME working
group were parallel efforts.  The Netfax working group suspended activity
with the publication of our RFC.

You might talk to Mark Needleman (mhn@stubbs.ucop.edu) and/or
Cliff Lynch (Lynch@stubbs.ucop.edu??) about what the library
automation people have in the way of Netfax software.  Also, Bob
Kalal (Kalal@tardis.acs.ohio-state.edu) said he was developing such
software at Ohio State University.

On the commercial side, the Xionics image processing board (for 386/486
DOS/Windows) does essentially Netfax format in hardware, EXCEPT for
multi-page (it only does single page faxes).

				Alan