Re: RFC-1314 and MIME

Ned Freed <NED@sigurd.innosoft.com> Wed, 24 February 1993 00:43 UTC

Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1993 16:18:35 -0700
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Ned Freed <NED@sigurd.innosoft.com>
Subject: Re: RFC-1314 and MIME
To: "Alan R. Katz" <katz@adonis.com>
Cc: Erik.Huizer@surfnet.nl, Cohen@adonis.com, mhn@stubbs.ucop.edu, netfax@stubbs.ucop.edu

> RFC-1314 WAS a registered MIME type at the time it came out.  I don't
> know why it was left out of the most recent MIME document.  It is true
> that the Netfax working group (which did RFC1314) and the MIME working
> group were parallel efforts.  The Netfax working group suspended activity
> with the publication of our RFC.

It was removed from RFC1341 because the IESG instructed us to remove it. The
reason for this edict was quite simple: To the extent that it is possible to
decouple one specification from another, it is a Good Thing to actually do so.
(Please note that I make no statement here about whether I think it is a Good
Thing; we simply complied with IESG instructions here and this is the reason
they gave us.)

However, this has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not the type/subtype
is registered. Although all the types described in the MIME document are
registered the converse is not true; registration is independent of the MIME
document. Registration is done by IANA. As far as I know the type/subtype
information for NETFAX is still registered and is still valid and legal.

				Ned