Re: [Nethistory] Nethistory Digest, Vol 2, Issue 2

Elizabeth Feinler <feinler@earthlink.net> Thu, 23 May 2013 19:16 UTC

From: Elizabeth Feinler <feinler@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 11:50:06 -0700
To: nethistory@ietf.org
Cc: Feinler Elizabeth <feinler@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Nethistory] Nethistory Digest, Vol 2, Issue 2

Great to see a discussion beginning!

I think I was not clear about what I was proposing as a possible beginning framework.

Let me state up front that the mission of this discussion is
	- Finding/Helping networking history donors
	- Finding the history
	- Saving the history
and not Writing the history of networking.

What I think we need to address is:
	1.) Developing a well-known, easy process to follow for anyone who wants to be a donor
	2.) Developing a long-term sustainable process for saving the history of networking history for posterity.

It is true that part of the Asian History work is dedicated to writing networking history itself.  Whether that is a right approach or not is not an issue here.  Their effort has come up with a list of countries; and behind those countries in many cases are real people, who may or may not be willing to be a "first responder" so to speak for someone with a donation.  If they don't want to fill that role, at least they are familiar with and interested in the history for their country and could possibly recommend someone to fill the NHL slot and/or help identify who has important collections.  Consequently, it is a place to start.

I based my thinking for a framework on the model that the Network Technical Liaison played in the early days of the internet.  There was a contact at each site (in our case, country) called the Technical Liaison who was the "go to" person for that site (country).  The Liaison didn't personally  handle all the problems at that site (country), he simply had a pretty good idea of who could and passed the word along.  In some cases only one person was needed as Liaison and could handle all the problems; in other cases there was a whole hierarchy of contacts behind the Liaison of which he was aware and used as needed.  This process was simple but it really worked and could be adopted here.

As I mentioned this was just a "strawman" proposal to get us all thinking.  Please feel free to comment/criticize/revise or whatever.

Jake