[Nethistory] Message from administrator Fwd: Need a change

Marc Weber <mweber@computerhistory.org> Fri, 04 January 2019 21:26 UTC

From: Marc Weber <mweber@computerhistory.org>
To: "nethistory@ietf.org" <nethistory@ietf.org>
CC: Jake Feinler <feinler@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2019 21:26:35 +0000
x-originating-ip: [151.60.244.76]
Subject: [Nethistory] Message from administrator Fwd: Need a change

Dear all,

As I wrote a couple of days ago I’m the other administrator; Jake and I started the list after the IETF Nethistory BoF we did in 2013 in Florida. I head the Internet History Program<http://computerhistory.org/nethistory> at the Computer History Museum (one of our core archives is the ARC/NIC collection that Jake preserved for some years in her own garage; we recently co-organized two events<http://thedemoat50.org/> for the 50th of Engelbart’s Demo). Jake has asked me to remove her as an administrator which I’ve just done; I can attend to other matters when I’m back from Europe at the end of January.

I too have been very concerned about the future of the list, and have been thinking of ways to make it more active in this anniversary year (50 for the ARPAnet and CompuServe, 30 for the Web, lots of others). I will certainly appreciate help and suggestions!

The anniversaries are a great opportunity to make people aware that there are institutions interested in preserving the kinds of historical materials they may have in their garage or attic. Incidentally the Computer History Museum does not only collect paper and 3D objects; we have major software, oral history, and multimedia collections and a Center for Software History. We also  work closely with the Internet Archive and other institutions around the world; the original purpose of the BoF was to try and get pioneers connected with archiving institutions near them.

For my part I was planning to invite a number of people involved in preservation who were not at the BoF. Perhaps it is also time to spread the word again though the IETF and ISOC. As Heather wrote we have been collaborating with her and the IETF on mirroring RFCs.

I am happy to consider changing the name to something like netpreservation@ietf.org<mailto:netpreservation@ietf.org> to better reflect the purpose; any suggestions for something short and sweet much appreciated. I should note however that the scope was always meant to be networking in a broader sense, i.e. including Web and mobile, and thus only partly overlapping with the Postel institute list.

Best wishes for this New Year,

Marc

Marc Weber<http://www.computerhistory.org/staff/Marc,Weber/>  |   marc@webhistory.org<mailto:marc@webhistory.org>  |   +1 415 282 6868
Internet History Program Curatorial Director, Computer History Museum
1401 N Shoreline Blvd., Mountain View CA 94043 computerhistory.org/nethistory<http://computerhistory.org/nethistory>
Co-founder, Web History Center and Project, webhistory.org<http://webhistory.org/>

Begin forwarded message: