Re: [netlmm] Jari, could you please say something? //RE: FW: I-D Action:draft-ietf-netlmm-lma-discovery-04.txt

Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net> Mon, 07 June 2010 22:33 UTC

Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 15:05:21 -0400
From: Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>
To: Frank Xia <xiayangsong@huawei.com>
Cc: "'Soininen, Jonne (NSN-FI/Espoo)'" <Jonne.Soininen@nsn.com>, netlmm@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [netlmm] Jari, could you please say something? //RE: FW: I-D Action:draft-ietf-netlmm-lma-discovery-04.txt

Frank,

I have reviewed this discussion.

First, the charter text that you quoted merely suggests possible ways to
provide the functionality, it is not a guarantee that each possible
design will be taken up. (And in fact, having something in the charter
is not a guarantee that the WG will work even on the functionality at
all, if there is not enough interest.)

Second, both chairs have indicated that there is no consensus in the
working group to adopt the additional material that you suggested. In my
review of the mailing list archives, there was some but very little
support for this. In particular, I did not see many people who said they
need this themselves, though there were a few who were agreeing to
adding material if others felt it was important. In my opinion, the
support that I saw does not justify additions to the current document.
If other people speak up the situation could change. I also I tend to
agree with Vidya's assessment that we've talked about this enough, we
should no longer be repeating the same arguments from the same people.
If there are additional folks who care about this, I'd love to hear
about it though. You mentioned Wimax at some point; perhaps those people
can say something?

Third, I also reviewed the working group document, and my opinion is
that it is already bloated and has too many solutions and too little
guidance on what should actually be done. The WG can consider this as my
last call comment; I'd rather see reduction in the document than
extension. Also, the document should make it clear that it describes
possible solution directions and not the solutions themselves. And I
would really like to see some statement about what the recommended
solution direction is. Personally, I think the AAA solution is workable,
but passing information from the mobile node via L2 would be a
provisioning nightmare.

Jari