Re: [netlmm] FW: I-D Action:draft-ietf-netlmm-lma-discovery-04.txt

Xiangsong Cui <Xiangsong.Cui@huawei.com> Tue, 08 June 2010 03:39 UTC

Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 11:39:30 +0800
From: Xiangsong Cui <Xiangsong.Cui@huawei.com>
To: "Soininen, Jonne (NSN-FI/Espoo)" <Jonne.Soininen@nsn.com>, netlmm@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [netlmm] FW: I-D Action:draft-ietf-netlmm-lma-discovery-04.txt

Hello,
I have read the draft and have following comments.

Technological comments:

1, I am also against any L2 based or MN based solution in this draft,
    I remember I had a long discussion with the authors and expressed
    the reason last year.

2, I think section 4 DNS considerations needs more clarification.
    I don't understand "Low TTL values increase the number of DNS
    queries considerably", and "the PMIPv6 domain LMA availability
    or load information is dynamically updated into the DNS", and
    "Typically AAA infrastructure is used for exchanging information
     between the LMA and the Policy Store" and some others.
    What is the relation between TTL and LMA discovery consistency?
    How LMA load information is updated into the DNS/Policy Store?
    these problems are not described in this draft.

3, The reference of RFC5149. I agree on selecting a LMA based on
    desired service, but RFC5149 is used between MN and HA, or even
    between MAG and LMA. The time is after the LMA has been selected,
    I mean LMA discovery happens before RFC5149 is involved.
    I guess maybe some Radius or Diameter extension is better reference?
    So the AAA server can select a LMA by the desired service.

4, "Once the MAG receives the LMA IP address(es), it sends Proxy Binding"
    I am not sure does this make sense. As to the handover, if the old MAG
    can not transfer context to the new MAG, and the AAA responds multiple
    LMA addresses to the new MAG, how can the new MAG select the right
    LMA address (i.e. the one which is selected by the old MAG) from the list?
    If the context can be transferred to the new MAG, the new MAG does not
    need LMA discovery at that time.

Editorial comment:

section 2.1
After the MN has successfully authenticated for the network access
/After the MN has been successfully authenticated for the network access

Regards,
Xiangsong