Re: [netlmm] Consensus call: RFC5107 based DHCP message intercept at MAG

Vijay Devarapalli <vijay@wichorus.com> Tue, 14 April 2009 18:04 UTC

Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 11:05:06 -0700
From: Vijay Devarapalli <vijay@wichorus.com>
To: Ryuji Wakikawa <ryuji.wakikawa@gmail.com>
Cc: netlmm@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [netlmm] Consensus call: RFC5107 based DHCP message intercept at MAG

Hi Ryjji,

Ryuji Wakikawa wrote:

>> In addition, you have the issue that Rajeev was brining up. Even in
>> the DHCP
>> relay case, the client would now see different DHCP server IP address
>> when
>> there is a MAG-MAG handover, if you force the MAG to be on the path
>> for the
>> DHCP messages.
>
> Why different DHCP server? The MAG-MAG handover is transparent to MN.
> DHCP client does not get any influence from the handover.
> I probably miss something here, can you explain this? Is this new issue?

Sure. When the new MAG uses RFC 5107 to insert itself in the path for
all DHCP messages, the mobile node sees a different IP address for the
DHCP server. It earlier had the old MAG as the DHCP server because the
old MAG had also used RFC 5107 to appear as the DHCP server.

Note that the IPv4 support document currently does not require all the
MAGs to configure a fixed IP address for the DHCP server IP address in
the DHCP relay case. The MAGs are required to configure a fixed DHCP
server IP address only for scenario where the DHCP server is co-located
with the MAG. You have to now introduce this requirement even for the
DHCP relay case to avoid the change in the DHCP server IP address as a
result of a handover.

Vijay