Re: [netmod] xpath expressions in JSON

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Tue, 23 October 2018 06:43 UTC

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 08:42:54 +0200
To: bill.wu@huawei.com
Cc: lhotka@nic.cz, netmod@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [netmod] xpath expressions in JSON

Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com> wrote:
> [...]

This guideline is for must/when expressions *within* YANG modules.

I'm talking about a different use case, namely filtering.  It is
pretty convenient for users to send a filter:

  /interfaces/interface[name='eth0'/ipv4

and get back what they expect.  Even in the rare case of local name
clashes, this filter works and gives back what was expected (+
additional nodes).

I have no plans on writing up this as a proposal; I'm just pointing
out that when XPath is used in filters, this is convenient.

/martin