Re: [netmod] *one* week 2nd WG Last Call: draft-ietf-netmod-revised-datastores-07

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Tue, 19 December 2017 20:25 UTC

Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2017 21:25:14 +0100
To: andy@yumaworks.com
Cc: lberger@labn.net, netmod-chairs@ietf.org, netmod@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [netmod] *one* week 2nd WG Last Call: draft-ietf-netmod-revised-datastores-07

Hi Andy,

Andy Bierman <andy@yumaworks.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have reviewed draft-07 and my previous comments about NMDA have been
> addressed.
>
> This might be the most important sentence in the draft:
>
> sec. 5.3
>
>    The datastore schema for <operational> MUST be a superset of the
>    combined datastore schema used in all configuration datastores except
>    that YANG nodes supported in a configuration datastore MAY be omitted
>    from <operational> if a server is not able to accurately report them.
>
> The MUST implies that there is no need to design a YANG library that can
> support
> an implementation that violates this MUST (i.e., 1 schema tree for the
> super-set)
>
> The MAY is troublesome because it completely contradicts the conformance
> expressed
> in each YANG module supported by the server.  Any data node without any
> if-feature-stmts is mandatory to implement.

This is required for transition purposes; a server that wants to
implement <operational> should not have to implement all modules at
once (as applied config).

> What about config=false subtrees within a config=true subtree?
> Can they be omitted from <operational> as well, or does the draft just
> intend to
> omit the operational value of config=true nodes?  Should be specific.

The text says "nodes supported in a configuration datastore MAY be
omitted from <operational>".  So it is implicit that it only applies
to config true nodes (since config false cannot be supported in a
config ds).  How about:

OLD:

    The datastore schema for <operational> MUST be a superset of the
    combined datastore schema used in all configuration datastores except
    that YANG nodes supported in a configuration datastore MAY be omitted
    from <operational> if a server is not able to accurately report them.

NEW:

    The datastore schema for <operational> MUST be a superset of the
    combined datastore schema used in all configuration datastores
    except that YANG "config true" nodes supported in a configuration
    datastore MAY be omitted from <operational> if a server is not
    able to accurately report them.

> Perhaps this draft does not need the MAY half of the sentence at all.
> The YANG library can specify that it is for conformance-reporting, not
> conformance-defining.

I think we should keep the MAY, since the YANG library has to be
designed to support this case.

/martin