[netmod] Eric Rescorla's No Objection on draft-ietf-netmod-syslog-model-23: (with COMMENT)

Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com> Thu, 08 March 2018 00:25 UTC

From: Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-netmod-syslog-model@ietf.org, Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>, Kent Watsen <kwatsen@juniper.net>, netmod-chairs@ietf.org, kwatsen@juniper.net, netmod@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2018 16:25:08 -0800
Subject: [netmod] Eric Rescorla's No Objection on draft-ietf-netmod-syslog-model-23: (with COMMENT)

Eric Rescorla has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-netmod-syslog-model-23: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netmod-syslog-model/

COMMENT:

https://mozphab-ietf.devsvcdev.mozaws.net/D4614

It's not a problem with this document, but I took a quick look at
draft-ietf-netconf-tls-client-server and I've got some concerns. Here are a few
examples:

- You can set the cipher suite but not key sizes and groups You can
- say sort of incoherent things in TLS like "I support TLS 1.0 and TLS
 1.2 but not TLS 1.1" (there is no way to negotiate this in TLS 1.2)

I'll try to get a chance to give this a real review, but I wanted to mention it
before I forgot.

   We are using definitions of syslog protocol from [RFC5424] in this
   RFC.
Not a big deal, but this introduction feels like it ought to say what the
document is about, not just about syslog.

   The severity is one of type syslog-severity, all severities, or none.
   None is a special case that can be used to disable a filter.  When
   filtering severity, the default comparison is that messages of the
This seems to be the first use of the term filter to mean this entity

         subtree, implementations MUST NOT specify a private key that is
         used for any other purpose.
It seems like the data that syslog writes is sensitive, so the ability to write
a destination reflects a high degree of risk.