Re: [netmod] WG Last Call: draft-ietf-netmod-rfc7223bis-00

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Thu, 07 December 2017 08:01 UTC

Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 09:00:26 +0100
To: evoit@cisco.com
Cc: netmod-chairs@ietf.org, netmod@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [netmod] WG Last Call: draft-ietf-netmod-rfc7223bis-00

Hi Eric,

"Eric Voit (evoit)" <evoit@cisco.com> wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Several comments on the YANG model within rfc7223bis.
>
> list interface {
>         key "name";
>         description
>           "The list of interfaces on the device.  The status of an interface
>           is available in this list in the
>            operational state...
>
> A few questions on this.
> (a) The description of the list defines behaviors of various list
> nodes which might or might not exist in different NMDA datastores.  It
> also suggests when certain elements should be populated in various
> datastores.  Is the precedence being set that datastore specific
> behaviors may be placed into descriptions?

I don't know; I guess it depends on what people think about this
style.  I think that when the mapping between config and operational
state is not 1-1 and obvious, it needs to be somehow explained in the
description - just like the old descriptions did, except that where
the old descriptions refered to different *nodes*, we now refer to
different *intantiations* of the same node.

> Is this type of
> documentation guidance something which explored in
> draft-dsdt-nmda-guidelines?

I don't think so.

> (b) Does status mean 'admin-status', 'oper-status' or both?  (I think
> 'oper-status'.)

No, it is intended to mean the status of the interface in general.

> (c) should quotes be used around status?

No, since it's not the name of a specific node.

> leaf name {,   leaf type { ....
> There are NETCONF specific behaviors in the definition of these two
> leaves.  It would be great to have this transport agnostic.

One thing to note is that this also should apply to a RESTCONF
server.  But adding that doesn't really address your point :)
However, I don't know what the correct way of handling this would be.
We could be less specific and just write that the server MUST return
an "invalid-value" error, but less specific might also be more
confusing.

> I realize
> that such a transport segmentation dissociates transport error
> handling from the nodes being handled.
>
> leaf admin-status {...
> incorrectly marked  as config false;

See the reply from Vladimir; this is corrcect.

/martin