Re: [netmod] upcoming adoptions

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Thu, 07 September 2017 10:17 UTC

Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2017 12:15:47 +0200
To: rwilton@cisco.com
Cc: andy@yumaworks.com, kwatsen@juniper.net, netconf-chairs@ietf.org, netmod@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [netmod] upcoming adoptions

Robert Wilton <rwilton@cisco.com> wrote:

> On 07/09/2017 11:05, Martin Bjorklund wrote:
> > Robert Wilton <rwilton@cisco.com> wrote:

> >> I agree.
> > +1

> >> Also agree.
> > -1
> >
> > There are cases where a -state suffix is natural, e.g. in
> > ietf-hardware we have admin-state, oper-state, usage-state etc.
> >
> > I prefer to have a recommendation that generated modules and top-level
> > nodes are called ...-state, but that should not be a reason for making
> > -state illegal in general.
> Sorry, it was specifically modules and top level data nodes that I
> think this restriction should apply to.

Even in this case I'd prefer to make a one-way recommendation.  Is
there a technical reason for not allowing a normal module or top-level
node be called ...-state?  IMO, *if* it is important to mark these
modules as being generated, we should use a formal way to convey this
information, not rely on a naming convention.  (i.e., use a YANG
extension in the module).

/martin