Re: [netmod] Address Family versus Address Family

Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz> Wed, 21 November 2018 12:13 UTC

From: Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz>
To: tom petch <ietfc@btconnect.com>, "netmod@ietf.org" <netmod@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 13:13:07 +0100
Subject: Re: [netmod] Address Family versus Address Family

tom petch <ietfc@btconnect.com> writes:

> I have always thought of Address Family as something that BGP created
> and that others have used.  In fact, I find that there is an IANA
> registry of Address Families which RFC8294 has turned into a YANG
> module, but one using enumeration and not identity, which would seem to
> limit its utility.

In draft-lhotka-dnsop-iana-class-type-yang-00 we also use enumerations
representing DNS classes and resource records types. However, in
addition to the enumeration type that reflects the corresponding IANA
registries, we also added a union type that allows for using either the
mnemonic name or assigned number:

typedef rr-type {
  type union {
    type uint16;
    type rr-type-name;
  }
}

(and similarly for DNS classes). The numeric value corresponding to each
mnemonic name is given by the "value" statement inside each enum.

Actually, this approach was suggested by RFC 3597 that introduced the
general possibility of representing DNS classes and RR types
numerically. For example, RR type "AAAA" can be equivalently represented
as "TYPE28".

Perhaps this approach could be used for address families as well. In
fact, the use of identities also has its share of problems.

Lada