Re: [netmod] Last Call: <draft-ietf-netmod-artwork-folding-07.txt> (Handling Long Lines in Inclusions in Internet-Drafts and RFCs) to Best Current Practice

Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu> Wed, 31 July 2019 15:55 UTC

To: ietf@ietf.org
Cc: ibagdona@gmail.com, netmod-chairs@ietf.org, draft-ietf-netmod-artwork-folding@ietf.org, netmod@ietf.org
From: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 11:55:49 -0400
Subject: Re: [netmod] Last Call: <draft-ietf-netmod-artwork-folding-07.txt> (Handling Long Lines in Inclusions in Internet-Drafts and RFCs) to Best Current Practice

Note: I just noticed this work for the first time, and I don't follow
netmod. But I find the subject interesting and relevant, so I took a
look at it. I have a couple of comments/concerns:

1) Section 6.2 recommends only using double backslash folding if single
backslash folding doesn't work. But all the examples in section 9
violate this.

2) Regarding forced folding in section 8.2.1: step 1 (Determine where
the fold will occur) could benefit from some elaboration regarding lines
that require forced folding. In particular, when an input line flagged
for forced folding ends in backslash, then it must indeed be folded
before the last character, while in all other cases it can be folded at
any position prior to the max line length. (While this is obvious if you
think about it, some might miss this.)

Also, there should be examples of forced folding.

	Thanks,
	Paul