Re: [netmod] Inventory YANG model (entity-MIB)

"Dongjie (Jimmy)" <jie.dong@huawei.com> Tue, 10 March 2015 02:44 UTC

From: "Dongjie (Jimmy)" <jie.dong@huawei.com>
To: Andy Bierman <andy@yumaworks.com>, Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de>, Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@pfrc.org>, Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>, NETMOD Working Group <netmod@ietf.org>, "draft-dong-i2rs-network-inventory@tools.ietf.org" <draft-dong-i2rs-network-inventory@tools.ietf.org>, "i2rs-chairs@tools.ietf.org" <i2rs-chairs@tools.ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 02:44:06 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.111.97.131]
Subject: Re: [netmod] Inventory YANG model (entity-MIB)

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your feedback. Please see my replies inline:

The inventory model was motivated by some discussion in the I2RS interim, and we are open to move this work to Netmod if people are more interested to do this work here.
As Jeff said, simple conversion of MIB to Yang is not exactly our goal. Hopefully we can make good use of Yang to build a base inventory model, which is extensible with augmentation to build more specific models.

> Perhaps an SMI to YANG translation of the ENTITY-MIB will be a good enough
> starting point. I prefer to see IETF YANG work focus on configuration, rather
> than reinvent monitoring solutions that have been deployed for many years.

To my understanding, SMI to Yang translation gives you read-only models, while with Yang we can do both read and write. I'd agree that the inventory yang model should not limit its scope for monitoring, and we need to discuss what configurations should be considered as part of the inventory model. We'd appreciate your contributions on both aspects. Thanks.

Best regards,
Jie