Re: [netmod] artwork folding: dual support modes?

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Mon, 04 March 2019 08:40 UTC

Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2019 09:40:06 +0100
To: rwilton@cisco.com
Cc: adrian@olddog.co.uk, joelja@bogus.com, netmod@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [netmod] artwork folding: dual support modes?

"Rob Wilton (rwilton)" <rwilton@cisco.com> wrote:
> Hi Adrian,
>
> I mostly agree with your last sentence.
>
> I think that if you always preserve whitespace then a single slash is
> fine.  I.e. the single slash just breaks the line, and I think that
> this matches how editors, programming languages, etc normally behave.
>
> What I’m not keen on is using a single slash, and then automatically
> stripping leading whitespace on the line following a slash.

And this is the solution that I prefer.  The reason for this is that I
view examples as something that is there to illustrate some point to
the reader, and I think that a prettier formatted example with less
noise helps the reader.  I also think that is most cases, this works
well; i.e., most cases are _not_ on the form:

   12345      78990
          ^-------------- I need a line break here

For this problem, I prefer a solution that is intuitive and has less
noise and works for 90% of the cases, than a less intuitive solution
with more noise that works for 100% of the cases.

/martin