Re: [netmod] Canonical value representations in typedefs [was RE: 6021 ipv4-prefix]

Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz> Thu, 02 May 2019 13:13 UTC

From: Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz>
To: "Rob Wilton (rwilton)" <rwilton@cisco.com>, Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de>
Cc: NETMOD WG <netmod@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2019 15:12:58 +0200
Subject: Re: [netmod] Canonical value representations in typedefs [was RE: 6021 ipv4-prefix]

"Rob Wilton (rwilton)" <rwilton@cisco.com> writes:

> Forking the thread title to avoid further polluting the original issue, and because these comments really apply to YANG.Next.

YANG assumes "powerful" descriptions in general. An option would be to find a way for specifying the canonical
format in a machine-readable form.

> For the second case, I do wonder whether this is much closer to adding new concrete type to the language, just in a slightly backdoor way.  There have been discussions about adding binary representations for some of these types (e.g IPv4 address, IPv6 address ,etc).  Perhaps that would be easier if they were somewhat closer to base types than derived types, and maybe this class of type definitions shouldn't be using typedef at all.
>

>> > I'm not sure that we have really got a simple solution for either clients or
>> servers:
>> >  1) Clients may use non canonical format on configuration input
>> >  2) But clients must still use canonical format for xpath expressions
>> >  3) Clients must also handle canonical format being returned on any get
>> requests.
>> >  4) Servers must perform normalization of any type to a canonical format, as
>> defined in the type/typedef/leaf description.
>>
>> Exactly. Note that clients only send xpath for filtering (if they want to filter via
>> xpath). What is more important is that module authors can predict the format of
>> values when they write when or must expressions. And as Lada points out,
>> having predictable key values also is kind of desirable.
>
> I wasn't suggesting that we lose uniqueness of list keys, but instead
> don't allow typedefs to define their own canonical format.  I.e. that
> would always require IPv6 addresses to be provided in the canonical
> form.  However, the benefits of this are probably marginal given that

This just shifts the burden to the client side, with pretty much the same
issues. I think that the client should be allowed to send IPv6
addresses in any form permitted by RFC 4291.

Lada

--
Ladislav Lhotka
Head, CZ.NIC Labs