Re: [netmod] WG adoption poll draft-bjorklund-netmod-rfc7227bis-00

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Tue, 19 September 2017 10:00 UTC

Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2017 11:59:15 +0200 (CEST)
To: lhotka@nic.cz
Cc: netmod@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [netmod] WG adoption poll draft-bjorklund-netmod-rfc7227bis-00

Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I support the adoption but I propose two conceptual changes:
>
> 1. Introduce a new module name and namespace so that it is not
> necessary to carry along the deprecated baggage. If readability is
> the primary concern, this is IMO the way to go. Instead of
> "ietf-ip-2", I'd suggest something like "ietf- ip-nmda".
>
> 2. Avoid obsoleting RFC 7277. I believe the old modules may continue
> to be used
> in areas where NMDA is an overkill, such as open source home
> routers.

Why wouldn't NMDA be appropriate in an open source home router?  Note
that the new model really just have a single tree instead of two
trees, so the data that needs to be instrumented is more or less the
same.

In fact, if we claim that the new architecture is not appropriate for
some devices I think we have failed, especially if the conclusion is
that we need to maintain two versions of all modules going forward.

/martin